1986 F-250 6.9 IDI

marvilusone

Looking at buying a 1986 F-250 4x4 with the 6.9 IDI diesel. I know it's not a powerhouse but it will do alot better than my SBC. The price is really right so I can't go wrong even if I don't like it and have to sell it I'll still be able to make some money. I've done alot of reading tonight on them but I'm looking for some first hand experiences from people who towed with them. Would it tow a two car trailer? How did it do on grades? Could you still run 70mph towing a single car? BTW it's got a C6 in it.

Looking at buying a 1986 F-250 4x4 with the 6.9 IDI diesel. I know it's not a powerhouse but it will do alot better than my SBC. The price is really right so I can't go wrong even if I don't like it and have to sell it I'll still be able to make some money. I've done alot of reading tonight on them but I'm looking for some first hand experiences from people who towed with them. Would it tow a two car trailer? How did it do on grades? Could you still run 70mph towing a single car? BTW it's got a C6 in it.

They are not powerhouses. They will run all day up against the governer, but they wont do it fast.

It will tow a two car trailer, but the c6 might complain if it has not been rebuilt at some point. As long as everything is in good working order, it will be fine. Expect hills to slow you down to 45 MPH or less. Some will be a first gear pull... but the 6.9 can spin at max operating speed all day long.

It MAY run 70 with a light vehicle on a single car trailer after a couple miles go get it up to speed.

It depends alot on your gear, too. 3.55's will let it run out a little more on the flats, but suck on the hills. 4.10's will effectively limit you to 60-65mph, but you will have alot more power.

They are prone to cavitation with the wrong antifreeze. There are huge threads about it. but the .02 cent version is thay may have holes in the cyls if they have run the wrong antifreeze for a long time.

THey also have head/head gasket issues.

If there is any history of weird overheating, bubbling in the antifreeze while it is running, or oil in the antifreeze, run away.

They are prone to cavitation with the wrong antifreeze. There are huge threads about it.

IIRC, the 6.9 isn't known for the big "C". The 7.3 (punched out 6.9 block that thinned the walls substantially) is where that comes into play the most.

My old 7.3NA/ZF5/4.10s/4x4 would run 80mph in 5th with a load... as long as it was downhill! Our "big" hills (Old Fort mtn. & 421 into Boone) brought the definite SUCK! :(

I looked for a used factory ATS or Sidewinder reasonably priced for over a year, until I realized everyone wanted $1k (2/3rds of a NEW sidewinder kit) regardless of condition :rolleyes: Sold it and bought the CTD. Still needs a few things to be 100% (LP & TC), but as it is, tows a far sight better than the Ferd.

hmmm, is it tan....? if so i looked at it and really thought about it but just dont have the time to scoot down there and scoop it up. For the price you CANT go wrong.

I had a 7.3 with a sidewinder turbo kit, water/meth injection, tricked up pump and injectors...a stock CTD would still blow it off the road. A 6.9 is great for towing if you aren't in any hurry and don't mind buying trannys every now and then. I'd pass on it, for what your asking of it, it'll never do.

hmmm, is it tan....? if so i looked at it and really thought about it but just dont have the time to scoot down there and scoop it up. For the price you CANT go wrong.
Yep that's the one. I'm waiting to hear back from him. For the price if I get six months of use out of it I've got my moneys worth.

Back