1991 Zuk... Re-build...

uncc civilengineer

Well... nothing anywhere near as sweet as Geoff's Zuk-buggy but it's a work in progress..

We picked up up on Thrusday... stopped by Tellico on the way home and ran Schoolbus, Helicopter Pad, by-pass a Guradrail... then loaded up and came home. We would have ran Guardrail but there was absolutely NO ONE at the place and I didn't have a winch remote... so didnt want to take any chances..

Well the plans are to rework the front/rear tube, clean up the body, skins, 37" Treps sitting in the garage, Paint it black... Then this winter link the front.. It works well but needs some love..

Anyways here's what i'll say are "before" pictures...

ai52.photobucket.com_albums_g18_CTFriel_Zuk_20rebuild_zuk001.jpg

ai52.photobucket.com_albums_g18_CTFriel_Zuk_20rebuild_zuk003.jpg

ai52.photobucket.com_albums_g18_CTFriel_Zuk_20rebuild_zuk005.jpg

Not much time in it yet.. but pull the seats and lined the floor..
ai52.photobucket.com_albums_g18_CTFriel_Zuk_20rebuild_zuk009.jpg

ai52.photobucket.com_albums_g18_CTFriel_Zuk_20rebuild_zuk011.jpg

After

ai52.photobucket.com_albums_g18_CTFriel_Zuk_20rebuild_zuk013.jpg

More to come... in the process of sanding/priming the body and frame.....

NICE!! I live in murphy and people goto to tellico more than I do...Im jealous. plus im in Iraq so that might be problem why...lol

looks nice chris, what are the specs?

Currently:
Rear: Diamond Axle, 5.29's, E-locker, 15" drums
Front: Toy, 4340's, 5.29's, ARB, Toyota IFS Aisin Hubs
Transfer Cases: Dual Cases/ Marlin/Inchworm (2.3:1 and 4.7:1) about 11:1 in low/low
Petroworks performance clutch
2.0L from Vitara
Toy G52 5spd
FJ60 box w/ Hydro assist
OTT Industries Hi-steer arms and Pitman arm
Rear has Rock Equipment Coilovers, Front is Alcan's
37" Comp. Trepadors w/ Cragar Soft 8's

It was in pretty bad shape from sitting outside in the elements.. but no rust to speak of... just a little surface stuff... just looked rough.. It actually drives nicely on the road also..

We're "re-working" the rear tube to shorten it up a little bit... skinning the back... and re-working the front clip tube/adding a stinger..

The cage is now a deep burgandy and the body's black... Some of the welds aren't the prettiest but Dusty said they're good so oh well... I'll run it and see..

The guy that built it must have really liked RED... he even powder coated the frame red... :eek:

Hopefully we'll be done by next weekend but w/ Vacation Bible School all week probably wont get much time to work on it... Maybe Mountain City the next weekend or N. Wilkesboro or something..

If you think about it PM me Andy's number I was going to ask him a few things... and give a brother a call sometime...

Nice little ride. Dont go hack-job it too fast. :lol:

what did you end up paying for that thing? I thought the 7k was a little high for what it was. Sure is a great starting point. He was interested in a trade for my for runner but cancelled and said he cashed out. Looks like your doing a facelift kinda like I planned, looks good.

what did you end up paying for that thing? I thought the 7k was a little high for what it was. Sure is a great starting point. He was ready to trade me for my runner but cancelled and said he cashed out a little low but need cash more than anything else.

He came down significantly for quick cash...

The rear build setup seems to be well thought out... 9" Vertical seperation, all links 34" long, 100" wheelbase, 14" Rockequipment coilovers 80/100 springs.. 5" up travel and 9" droop... 7/8" hemis, etc. on a Diamond housing...

So I think it's a good starting point... I'll probably link the front this fall and drop the ride height a few inches... Just cant currently w/ the front end.

Also the guy that swapped in the motor/wiring is an Electrical Engineer and it shows... the wiring on this thing is beautiful!

Also the Dual cases are so smooth...

It has very little body roll and no wheel hop so far...so I may not even fool w/ a rear swaybar for now... maybe just a center limiting strap?

The poor thing has set out in the elements until the seats are faded, surface rust everywhere, etc...

I'll try to get some more pictures up this evening....

Tj grille on a Japanese vehicle, man that's just wrong...

Heep body parts on a Sammi? You know that's going to kill the articulation, don't you? ;)

Nice looking ride. I'd like to check it out sometime. I'm trying to get some ideas for a Sammi I've got in the works, and I like the tube work on this thing. I like the cage work on the floor.

Well finally got time to throw a little paint on it... Now I need to lower the rear about 2 inches (after I add tools, etc.)... Groove one Trepador... Touch up paint some.. Add some rear skins this week.. and just wheel it... I"ll rework the front tube and link the front this fall/winter... Just dont have time right now...

Before:
ai52.photobucket.com_albums_g18_CTFriel_Zuk_20rebuild_lot_2.jpg

After:
ai52.photobucket.com_albums_g18_CTFriel_Zuk_20rebuild_zuk062.jpg

Before:
ai52.photobucket.com_albums_g18_CTFriel_Zuk_20rebuild_lot_4.jpg

After:
ai52.photobucket.com_albums_g18_CTFriel_Zuk_20rebuild_zuk067.jpg

Before:
ai52.photobucket.com_albums_g18_CTFriel_Zuk_20rebuild_zuk011.jpg

After:
ai52.photobucket.com_albums_g18_CTFriel_Zuk_20rebuild_zuk066.jpg

Well... rebuillt the rear colivers and dropped the N2 pressure and set the rear down to about even... Added a Bestop Bikini and roll bar padding...

We worked on some "inner" skins and they're about complete.. We also cut out the "outter" skins but it's just too stinking hot to work right now...

It's a little dirty from wheeling but here's where it's at now... Oh yeah 12" Fox 2.0's are sitting in the garage for the front... Probably do that in a few weeks... still need to place an order w/ ballistic for some link parts...

BEFORE:

ai52.photobucket.com_albums_g18_CTFriel_Zuk_20rebuild_zuk062.jpg

AFTER:

ai52.photobucket.com_albums_g18_CTFriel_Zuk_20rebuild_001.jpg

ai52.photobucket.com_albums_g18_CTFriel_Zuk_20rebuild_002.jpg

OH yeah.. also picked up a new DD for now...

ai52.photobucket.com_albums_g18_CTFriel_Zuk_20rebuild_006.jpg

ai52.photobucket.com_albums_g18_CTFriel_Zuk_20rebuild_007.jpg

just kidding... it's my aunts car..

Back