1992 Jeep Cherokee Speed Sensor Issue

Msperlazza

I just got a 92 cherokee 4.0 auto with a np231. The speedometer does not work so i replaced the speed sensor from another jeep (one that i know works). When i put it back in i spun it by hand before installing it and the speedometer read it just fine. After i reinstalled it into the t-case and drove down the driveway it did nothing. Therefore, i know the speed sensor is good and the gauge is working properly.

That being said, i assume it is something in the tail cone of the T-case? If i just took the tail cone off my 91 and installed it should it fix the issue? (the speedometer works in the 91)

Thanks, Mike

Im not sure what your asking. Would the tooth count being different make the speedometer not work at all? As far as i know i took the old one out and put the new (used) one in the same way.

on the speedo gear there will be a number stamped on it (tooth count)
when you put the speedo housing in the number on the outside of the housing must be indexed according to the tooth count.
there will usually be a little dot on the transfer case to line the number up

Ah ok, I was unaware of that, and it could be my issue. I will pull it out and line everything up and let you know what happens! Thanks a lot.

Back