1994 Dodge Dakota Transmission

JSJJ388

GREEN GREMLIN
My beater dakota appears to have lost the transmission, at 360k miles. Truck runs good and the frame is solid so if I can fins a cheap transmission to go in it I'm inclined to fix it.

It's a 1994 Dakota sport with the 3.9L and a 5 speed. Synchronizers have been going for a while, and nkw its stuck in 3rd gear. Case has a pretty bad leak, so i dont know that a rebuild isba good option. I can't seem to figure out exactly what transmission would be in it. I've seen AX- and NV3500. If it's an AX-15, I assume the mounting pattern is different from jeeps? Thanks for the help.

given the year, it is most likely an ax15. One from a jeep should work, if you need 4wd, just make sure it has a removable bellhousing, so you can swap the one from your trans.

Also, assuming that you have checked to make sure the clutch is actuating correctly?

given the year, it is most likely an ax15. One from a jeep should work, if you need 4wd, just make sure it has a removable bellhousing, so you can swap the one from your trans.

Also, assuming that you have checked to make sure the clutch is actuating correctly?
Thanks. It's 2wd. And yea the clutch is ok. I was able to drive it home in 3rd and have pulled it out of the garage by holding the clutch and using my work truck to pull it.

FYI that's the magical and elusive 3.9 AX15 bell that allows you to bolt a EFI 318/360 to an AX15 in a YJ/TJ.
So it's gold. He parts it out and get a new ride in the deal! Man that would be crazy.

So it's gold. He parts it out and get a new ride in the deal! Man that would be crazy.
And in response to myself......I know where another one is but the man likely wants part with it.

Well... I'll take $3k for the bellhousing. You can take the truck with it!

Last edited:
FYI that's the magical and elusive 3.9 AX15 bell that allows you to bolt a EFI 318/360 to an AX15 in a YJ/TJ.
Last count I had about three of em.

Back