1999 Chevy Suburban, Axle actuator..Full time?

upnover

Grumpy, decrepit Old Man
So, Mine is locking, unlocking. Found this out the worst possible time, last December in the big wet snow.
I am looking to put a full time actuator in it, well not really an actuator, but it's like a plug that will keep the dif live full time. My son put one in an old truck he had, AFAIK, he had no issues with it. I hadn't been able to find what he used anywhere. Maybe someone here can. OR I watched a bunch of YT vids, and one guy made one from his thermos actuator by JB welding a piece of PVC in the end to make it depress the fork or what ever is inside, to keep both axles live. Looking at other video's looks like both the motorized and the thermal's are plastic. So what say ye, doesn't seem to take a lot to depress the inside to make it live. And yes, Money is an object.

Thoughts?

No it doesn't take much to keep it actuated. I'd check the wiring first. No real reason to make it stuck engaged, it'll add extra drag & wear on the gear set, but then again, not that much if it's got proper lubricant level. You may could just pin the actuator in engaged position and reinstall.

Back