2 Low kit for NP231

rbo1577186

I was eyeballing this Tera Low kit for my 98 TJ. Affordable at $200 ish. It would be nice to have to putt around the trails to save clutch/stay out of 4wd. Anyone got any input on this?

I have one in my jeep. $200? They have gone up. I use mine some, but your money would be spent better saving for the 4.1 kit.

foreman1063 said:
Does the 4 to 1 kit allow you to drive in 2-lo?

no...

but if you buy the 4:1 kit, and have to crack open the t-case, might as well to the 2Low at the same time...

but, that's when I start looking at a Stak or Atlas 2-speed case...

they start around $2000, and you're looking at ~$800+ for the 4:1, $200 for the 2Low, and a couple hundred for an SYE...all of which you'd get, along with twin sticks and a gear driven case, if you spend several hundred more and buy the Atlas or Stak to begin with...

Greg

I don't see how it will make any difference on clutch wear if that's your only objective. The real benefit is being able to make tighter turns in low range, and easing a lot of the stress on the transfer case. At the time I installed mine, 4:1, 2Lo, AA SYE, (my labor) the cost was still half the price of an Atlas.

Definite on the driveline stress. I really take it easy riding around on the trails (in 2wd High) 99% of the time. Sometimes I have to work the clutch more than I would like. In 4 lo I can almost stay off the clutch completely. Therefore I thought this could be for me. Not interested in the 4:1 kit. I'm happy with the 2:72.

No doubt on the atlas. I wouldn't spend 1k in parts , I'd just prefer the atlas. But I saw the kit for $200, so I started thinking about it.

Anyone have any hands on? Was it terrible to install? (I know I'd have to pull the TCase, any special tools, fabrication). After installed does it seem to work OK?

Thanks everyone.

I have one, with the Detroit in the front it works great, I have not had any trouble with mine. I run most of the time in 2 low now.

I was welded in the front with an axle disconnect and 2lo and it was the best thing to do. I would mostly run 2wd, but could go 3 or 4 depending. Easy install too.

Helped put on in a buddy's XJ. The install wasn't hard at all. Just regular hand tools and a set of snap ring pliers. No fabrication.

Call DC at DC4WD.com. Mine was less than $200, seems like $140. But maybe prices have gone up.

It had it in my 1997 TJ. I had to take the T-case apart anyway, so it was no extra work to install the 2WD Lo kit. Otherwise, you're looking at pulling and dis-assembling the T-case - which is no fun IMO unless it needs to be done. :) It's not hard, just takes time. The actual dropping in of the 2WD Lo parts is the easy part.

If you do not have an SYE already - this would be the perfect time to do it.

I used my 2WD Lo all the time. I had a Lock Right in the front axle, and steering was WAY easier in 2WD Lo.

Most trails at UNF I ran 2WD Lo, and it was very easy to slip into 4WD Lo when I needed it. 2WD Lo made it easier for me to steer, and made the easier trails more of a challenge if I wanted it that way.

Back