2000 F350 ABS sensor

Cperry

2000 f-350
6speed 2 wheel drive

ABS light comes on if i am in 6th gear at about 2500 rpm's in the 75-80 mile per hour range. stays on until i shut off truck upon restart it is off until i get to said speed.

checked ABS Rear sensor there was some metal shavings on it not alot. wiped off ohm'd it out it was good. checked wires good. then i was at the ford dealer today so i bought one anyway it was only $20 bucks still does it.

Rear end from the factory was a 3.73 but has been changed to a 4.10, i asked parts ass if gear ratio maters he says no. Code in the ABS system was stored and it was something like rear ABS sensor confused, can't remeber exact words.

Anybody have any ideas?

The ABS light only comes on when the vss sensor is not responding. Majority of the time when they fail its due to metal shavings, but they can be cleaned and reinstalled. Check the wires, you may need to replace the harness, the F series trucks dont have a replacement harness - youll have to get an E series harness and splice it in.

Also check the front wheel bearings. If the wheel bearings are badly worn, the abs plate munches on the vss sensor.

Just hope, and hope its not the abs controller - its mad $$$

do you read posts or just post.

already fawking checked the sensor for shavings, cleaned it, ohm'd it, replaced it, and checked the wires which if it was the harness why not ABS light on all the time.

next.

check that all tires are same size/make and that air pressures are within spec. Odd tire size may not cause issue til speeds are higher.

another test is to hook up DVOM to sensor leads and spin wheel, have some one wiggle harness while doing this, might have an intermittent open issue, spinning wheel will generate a voltage signal ( dunno what Ford specs ) but anything with an intermitent open will cause issue. Try this test at each harness plug, helps with finding possible source

X2,

Also, make sure the tone wheel isn't full of trash - may not explain totally why the light is coming on intermittantly, but it would need to be cleaned anyway, that sensor as we all know is a magnet. If you have done this already and the voltages check good on the output of the sensor, it has to be in the harness to the controller.

it is rwab only so front wheels no apply. ended up taking it to dealer and had one of their mechanics reflash it for the correct tire size and ratio. end of problem. thanks for the help though.

Back