2001 7.3 Help

Franklin

2001 7.3 Excursion. Wrecked last year and finally got it fix/painted. Drove it 100 miles 3 weeks ago for start of repair. Ran great, just like always.

Trk is done, but now got an P0231 code, secondary fuel pump. Easy fix, new Bosch pump, nada. Still shows the same code, but now glow plug relay code on 2,4,6,8. So one bank isn't getting signal.

New GPR and Glow Plug control module is $200. I nor the shop (Custom car shop/ brother in law) can work on this (I'm 100 miles away)

My gut is saying PCM or I hope not a frayed wire in the 42 pin connector. So any insight will be appreciated. Or a diesel mech near Hiddenite/ Taylorsville/Hickory that will come out and look.

Been w/o this damn thing for 10 months and I'm ready to start fishing/hunting and now this crap!

I am by no means a 7.3 mechanic, but may want to check the valve cover wiring harness. It hooks up to injectors and glow plugs.

I am by no means a 7.3 mechanic, but may want to check the valve cover wiring harness. It hooks up to injectors and glow plugs.

This is my first thought too.

May want to check with @mysterync

Inertia switch strikes again?

I think I'd start with a quick test to verify those glow plugs are not open - very quick test that can be done with a test light at the gpcm. If they all light the test light you know to look at the module, If not you know to head towards the uvch/glow plugs. Is the truck running ok? I'll lookup the code definition in a bit and see what it's set parameters are. To be honest, I've seen a ton of those pumps fail and not one code set, and if the pump isn't pumping you'll know it!

P0231 indicates that there wasn't voltage detected on the sense circuit thats after the inertia switch, so good chance the inertia switch is bad or should be reset. Pretty simple to test, is there voltage at the fuel pump?

I had some water intrusion in the pass kick panel. It caused the inertia switch to stick closed. Clean up, no codes and it runs fine. Why that would send a GPR relay code and 0231 secondary code, I have no idea. All I know is its going to be headed east dragging a skiff real soon!

Slid sideways into the back of a 1 ton. Killed C & D pillar, bent B. How the glass stayed intact is beyond me. Ins totaled and I bought it back for a whopping $650, Put a junkyard pass side on. Pain in the ass, B in law said never again. New bumpers, tranny coolers, 07 grill and lights, mirrors. Small lift/tires is next.

Attachments

• 20160813_073315.jpg
    20160813_073315.jpg
    136.1 KB · Views: 279
  • 20160910_120852.jpg
    20160910_120852.jpg
    85 KB · Views: 276
Season doesn't end in SC and the limit is generous!

Back