2002 jeep grand cherokee overland

Using a WJ to tow anything more than a utility trailer is not really recommended. The coil sprung unibody is not really meant to tow much. I wouldn't tow anything over 2k at most, no matter what the owners manual says.

I towed my old XJ on a 18' Kaufman w/ my 01 WJ Limited... I did have bags inside the rear coils (Isuzu Rodeo bags actually), New Factory Up-Country coils spings all around, Addco Swaybars, and a Tekonsha P3 controler...

Also the WJ had the factory tranny and ps coolers.. D44A, 3.73's, Class IV hitch, intake, etc... Oh and my trailer had brakes on both axles... It did just fine towing back/forth to Mtn. City, etc... I'd do it again if need be and set up properly. I never was scared once...

W/o airbags, a equilization hitch, swaybars, coolers I wouldnt even try it... Stock the amount of tongue weight you're going to need is going to completely make it undrivable (atleast IMO)...

The XJ + gear + Trailer weighed in at 6650lbs.

WJ Towing

We tow a 19ft Jayco Featherlite camper with wife's 2003 Limited with the 4.7HO V8. It has tranny cooler, class IV hitch, anti sway bars, D44 etc and I have also added an electric brake. Have towed as far away as Charleston, SC and have not had any problems. It didn't like the mountains too much when we went up to Sparta to camp, but still came in at around 12mpg.

well i have a 16 foot hudson trailer and a 1990 2 door xj thats what id be towing the owners manual says 6500lb idn though how much would my xj and trailer weigh

Our camper weighs approx 4500 loaded, I wouldn't tow anything any heavier. It's a tandem axle so that does help a little bit.

Back