2011 3.8L JKU Regear questions/opinions wanted.

Turk919

Hey guys, I’m considering regearing my JKU to get a little more “oomph” and mileage out of it, and all the reviews I see are on the newer 3.6’s that have more power to begin with, so it’s not really comparable.

Currently have my JKU on 34.5-35’s, Auto trans, tuned with a flashpaq on the performance tune, it does not have the torque to cruise at 65+ without coming out of OD and you can forget it going up a grade. I think the stock gears are 3:73’s but I was wondering if I should go with 4:88’s or possibly 5:13’s? Anyone have a similar setup and is happy with it? I’m not looking to go nascar speeds in my Jeep, just want it to be a bit more peppy and responsive.

Any comments or thoughts are welcome and appreciated.

5.13 no doubt about it with 34/35 and the 3.8 V6.
Top end won't suffer as much as you'd think. You'll be happy with them for sure

Ok, next question I guess would be is $2000-$2500 about right for having a shop replace them? I don’t have the knowledge to tinker on axles and certainly don’t want one locking up going down the road.

Ok, next question I guess would be is $2000-$2500 about right for having a shop replace them? I don’t have the knowledge to tinker on axles and certainly don’t want one locking up going down the road.
That’s high IMO just for a regear. Should be able to find a reputable shop in the $1400-$1600 range.

I’ll call around again then, the two places I called was East Coast Gear in Raleigh and Carolina diesel trucks in Fuquay.

Looking back at the quote it is over $1100 in labor. 4.5hrs/per axle at $562.50

I’ll call around again then, the two places I called was East Coast Gear in Raleigh and Carolina diesel trucks in Fuquay.
East coast is a great shop. Never done a JK myself but I wouldn’t think it would be much more than a TJ. You running a D44 rear and D30 front?

It'd be worth the drive to get @Jody Treadway to do it.

Had a guy drive here from Emerald Isle once for a regear. Dropped it off Saturday am, called an Uber, he slept own bed that night. :huggy:
I don't do that turn and burn routine anymore though. I prefer my weekends to be spent getting my own tires dirty

If you an do without the JKU that guy @Jody Treadway is as good or better than anyone there is. I towed my xj from SC to get him to redo my gears.

ECGS did my 15 Ram 2500. Excellent work. Not sure how comparable price would be to a JK but the bill was in your first guess range.

Duane

Back