2011 3.8L JKU Regear questions/opinions wanted.

Discussion in 'Axles / Suspension / Tires' started by Turk919, Aug 4, 2019.

1. Turk919

Turk919 Member

Hey guys, I’m considering regearing my JKU to get a little more “oomph” and mileage out of it, and all the reviews I see are on the newer 3.6’s that have more power to begin with, so it’s not really comparable.

Currently have my JKU on 34.5-35’s, Auto trans, tuned with a flashpaq on the performance tune, it does not have the torque to cruise at 65+ without coming out of OD and you can forget it going up a grade. I think the stock gears are 3:73’s but I was wondering if I should go with 4:88’s or possibly 5:13’s? Anyone have a similar setup and is happy with it? I’m not looking to go nascar speeds in my Jeep, just want it to be a bit more peppy and responsive.

Any comments or thoughts are welcome and appreciated.

2. Jason W.

Jason W. Carolina Trail Blazers

5.13 , end of discussion!
    It will drive much better.

@Nakoma can give you first hand experience

3. Jody Treadway

Jody Treadway Croc wearing fool Moderator

5.13 no doubt about it with 34/35 and the 3.8 V6.
    Top end won't suffer as much as you'd think. You'll be happy with them for sure

4. Turk919

Turk919 Member

Ok, next question I guess would be is $2000-$2500 about right for having a shop replace them? I don’t have the knowledge to tinker on axles and certainly don’t want one locking up going down the road.

5. obullfish

obullfish Well-Known Member

That’s high IMO just for a regear. Should be able to find a reputable shop in the $1400-$1600 range.

Jody Treadway likes this.
  6. Turk919

Turk919 Member

I’ll call around again then, the two places I called was East Coast Gear in Raleigh and Carolina diesel trucks in Fuquay.

Looking back at the quote it is over $1100 in labor. 4.5hrs/per axle at $562.50

7. obullfish

obullfish Well-Known Member

East coast is a great shop. Never done a JK myself but I wouldn’t think it would be much more than a TJ. You running a D44 rear and D30 front?

8. Turk919

Turk919 Member

Yes sir

9. tsconver

tsconver Well-Known Member

Check 4 wheel parts. They do specials during their sales events and they have one coming up on august 10th. Also if you are a club member they give you even larger discounts.

10. Croatan_Kid

Croatan_Kid How's your hammer hangin'?

a_kelley and Jody Treadway like this.
  11. Jody Treadway

Jody Treadway Croc wearing fool Moderator

Had a guy drive here from Emerald Isle once for a regear. Dropped it off Saturday am, called an Uber, he slept own bed that night. :huggy:
    I don't do that turn and burn routine anymore though. I prefer my weekends to be spent getting my own tires dirty

Croatan_Kid, iwaxmyjimmy and R Q like this.
  12. ghost

ghost Well-Known Member

If you an do without the JKU that guy @Jody Treadway is as good or better than anyone there is. I towed my xj from SC to get him to redo my gears.

13. CLRracer

CLRracer Mopar Nut

ECGS did my 15 Ram 2500. Excellent work. Not sure how comparable price would be to a JK but the bill was in your first guess range.

Duane