2017 Silverado 6L80 issues

buellconvert

I've had this truck for 2 years, got it with 42,000 miles and now it's at 73,000 and the transmission started acting up Sunday on a drive to Carolina Beach...I was driving into a pretty strong headwind and the trans temp got a little warmer than normal, about 225° is the highest it got. It cooled right off after getting into town and didn't think much of it until we went to head back home that evening and it wouldn't shift until about 3k rpm and then it would never go into 6th gear at all. I did a filter change at 50,000 miles and the fluid has always looked good and the levels are always right on the money. I haven't heard good things about this transmission and I am fearing the worst! I drove it yesterday and it's still doing the same thing, won't shift until the revs get way up there and it still won't go into 6th gear. Has anyone else had an issue with this transmission or have any ideas what I might be looking at? I am going to take it to Jennings Transmission here in Goldsboro to have them look at it, but was hoping ya'll might have some idea what's going on. Thanks!

That's not the symptoms mine presented when it died; ours would jump around like it was trying to downshift. We also got somewhere around 135k (I think) out of it before it let go. Repair bill for us was $5k, but that's up here in Va where I don't know anybody.

Yeah, I've heard about the torque converters being crap and destroying themselves and the trans with it. Mine has never had an other symptoms and then bamm this happens, I really don't want to have a $5000 repair bill for a truck with less than 75000 miles, that's straight crap!

My 2011 6l80 died at 145,000. Torque converter let loose.
There are other issues with them could be one of those. Good luck. It sucked.

225 seems hot. Mine doesn’t get that high pulling my boat always less than 200.
just driving I’m 160-180

just driving I’m 160-180
I'll see 200-210 pulling the jeep or camper on long grades, but never that hot.

From what I've been reading and seeing GM supposedly tweaked with the trans in the 2014+ trucks and they say they are supposed to run hotter, but that's just what I've been able to gather online

just driving I’m 160-180
I know my 6.2 w 8 speed, is different, but my normal tran temp, by the cluster reading, runs around 165*. I haven't figured how it does it, but I can tow Trailer & Jeep, up Fancy Gap, on cruise control, doing 60mph, & trans temp holding 170 -175*. I've seen the temp Drop, climbing it. What? The engine runs at 210!

Took it to the local transmission shop and they pulled the codes and recommended a new transmission...$3049 +tax ugh but the worst part is it could take 3 weeks

Make sure to change the converter, flush the cooler or replace it.

Then get the PWM lockup engagement removed + only allow lock up in 5th and 6th, not in the lower gears.

that's usually the go to if you want to make them last longer.

Make sure to change the converter, flush the cooler or replace it.

Then get the PWM lockup engagement removed + only allow lock up in 5th and 6th, not in the lower gears.

that's usually the go to if you want to make them last longer.
I know this can be done with like HP tuners type things, but is this something a transmission shop would or could do for me when I get it done? I'd love a recommendation to a trans shop that's comfortable doing this and one that knows exactly what to do to take care of these known issues...I don't have a clue who to take it to that I can trust

Not sure. Maybe.

I'd rather find a competent tuner TBH. But I don't have any local recommendation for you unfortunately.

I know this can be done with like HP tuners type things, but is this something a transmission shop would or could do for me when I get it done? I'd love a recommendation to a trans shop that's comfortable doing this and one that knows exactly what to do to take care of these known issues...I don't have a clue who to take it to that I can trust
Jennings did 2 for me. Seemed to do a good job, but I've heard not as great things about them too. First one burned up 2yrs later, but it was under warranty, so who cares! Lloyd's transmission in Smithfield also did 2 for me. I felt like he did a good job. First one burned up in 2yrs as well! It next went to John Heister for the warranty trans. $0 for a new trans, but they didn't tighten the nuts on the carrier bearing on the drive shaft. Would not recommend them :lol:

Let's just say, I have no love for 6l80s....

Jennings did 2 for me. Seemed to do a good job, but I've heard not as great things about them too. First one burned up 2yrs later, but it was under warranty, so who cares! Lloyd's transmission in Smithfield also did 2 for me. I felt like he did a good job. First one burned up in 2yrs as well! It next went to John Heister for the warranty trans. $0 for a new trans, but they didn't tighten the nuts on the carrier bearing on the drive shaft. Would not recommend them :lol:

Let's just say, I have no love for 6l80s....
Now that's what I call a gluton for punishment...this is my 1st one and want to swear them off forever already! 🤑

Car Shield! They replaced the Motor And, Transmission! Who do Dhat?
Will Smith Yes GIF by Bad Boys For Life

Back