The Garden Thread

My mini garden is getting ravaged this year and not by bugs. The beans have almost been completely stripped by the deer. The squash and zukes are getting nibbled. We had a big, low hanging tomato that just disappeared all of sudden. The Mrs is hot about it so I'm rolling to Lowe's or Tractor Supply and getting electrified. I'm also about to show the neighbors what hillbillies do when they have problems :sniper: It appears we have a groundhog that's moved in. The Mrs spotted it yesterday while outside. I may use a tried and true method my dad showed me years ago. Basically, it involves taking a water hose and filling their hole up. When they come up for air, you hit them in the head with a shovel. However, I'll refine his technique with the use of a subsonic 22 and be done with it.
Please video if you use the shovel!

My mini garden is getting ravaged this year and not by bugs. The beans have almost been completely stripped by the deer. The squash and zukes are getting nibbled. We had a big, low hanging tomato that just disappeared all of sudden. The Mrs is hot about it so I'm rolling to Lowe's or Tractor Supply and getting electrified. I'm also about to show the neighbors what hillbillies do when they have problems :sniper: It appears we have a groundhog that's moved in. The Mrs spotted it yesterday while outside. I may use a tried and true method my dad showed me years ago. Basically, it involves taking a water hose and filling their hole up. When they come up for air, you hit them in the head with a shovel. However, I'll refine his technique with the use of a subsonic 22 and be done with it.
i got some .22 just for using in town. and ive told you to go get a cross bow

Swing and a miss. I stuck a hose down what I thought was the hole. It was the only one I could find under the deck. Left the hose running for 30+ minutes and he never came up. The hole also never filled up. The only thing I can figure is that there is a massive sink hole under my driveway....

All I can say is, I'm so swamped with cherry tomatoes that I'm GIVING them away.

Took a 3 min smoke bomb and threw it down the hole....

Nothing. Found another hole but it's been there since we moved in. Threw a smoke bomb down that one....

Nothing.

Drove another 6'+ ground rod in the ground and wow o_O I was squatted down and touched the back of my hand to the fence and it knocked me back. I think the ole deer will have themselves a big time when they come back :lol:

Yesterday morning

BB99EE1A-0537-4A2F-9DAA-689B30E3755B.jpeg

Got over 1-3/4” last night. Corn is growing and getting some veggies. Gardens are much slower to start up here than down east.

7F28EBE1-032D-436F-A84B-0548F590839E.jpeg
59A3BCB9-AC31-42FC-A624-C169CDFB28E1.jpeg
A297EE68-E51F-4547-92F4-0C101835DAB5.jpeg

Attachments

• 73E1B004-4D1C-4EEA-B55F-685FF77A6375.jpeg
    73E1B004-4D1C-4EEA-B55F-685FF77A6375.jpeg
    214.7 KB · Views: 117
Damn! I guess so! my corn is 8' tall and maters are 5' (still green though)
Yeah there’s a huge difference. Our garden in JoCo would have been like yours.

We’re going to really work on the soil over winter to maybe help things for next year.

Yeah there’s a huge difference. Our garden in JoCo would have been like yours.

We’re going to really work on the soil over winter to maybe help things for next year.
What’s your elevation. Our garden is at 2,800 ft. Corn is now waist high. But we did get a 1/2 bushel of beans Wednesday

Attachments

• 40FD9E59-F405-4C1B-B2A8-BE3C471F9B82.jpeg
    40FD9E59-F405-4C1B-B2A8-BE3C471F9B82.jpeg
    183 KB · Views: 122
You’re way higher than we are at 1500.

The soil conditions must be worse than I was thinking.

Corn is 2’+ and tomatoes are growing slowly. Peppers even slower.

You’re way higher than we are at 1500.

The soil conditions must be worse than I was thinking.

Corn is 2’+ and tomatoes are growing slowly. Peppers even slower.
Mine's the same way

Mine's the same way
This is the first thing ever grown in this pasture area. It was cleared of trees 4 years ago. I am going to put a dump trailer (7 yards) of compost on the garden this winter and disc it in.

This is the first thing ever grown in this pasture area. It was cleared of trees 4 years ago. I am going to put a dump trailer (7 yards) of compost on the garden this winter and disc it in.
Ours was nothing but a big flower garden full of red clay. I was actually shocked anything grew decently. I plan to hit the fertilizer and lime this fall and till it up. It needs a load of good soil in there to mix in.

I hate weeding and hoeing so this am was weedeater time around the plants. I'm at about 750' elevation. I've not watered other than the fee rains we have had. I planted about 30 days later this year than in the past cause I had to let the chicken shit mellow a little in the soil.
20210703_113222.jpg

Last edited:
Mom said they’d picked about 3 bushels of green beans yesterday and were starting to can them.
I think yall have been getting more rain, but might want to taste them first. My parents decided not to can this yr, as the beans have a bad taste from being so dry.

Back