2150 Vacuum port help on a 258

CJ-usa

I just swaped out the BBD carb for the 2150 motorcraft on my 258 in my CJ. evrything went well untill I started to hook my vacuum lines. There was only one port and it was standard. There was no port for my distributor (port with vacumm only at higher RPM'S). I checked that one and it was standard. So I thought I would go ahead and hook that one up to my distributor. At start up everything ran great till I hooked up the distributor. Then the RPM's jumped. Idle was great. It has never ran like that before. Just I took it on the highway and found that I had lost a lot of top end speed(top speed was 55 mph). Take off was a little slow to. I would love to hear some ideas if anyone has any??
Thanks

the vaccuum advance must be hooked up to a timed vaccumm source. what you are most liely experiencing is a highly advanced ignition timing causing your high RPMs and lack of low end grunt. look for another vac source ABOVE the throttle plates on the carb.

The only other port on the carb is going into the air filter next to the air horn. Thats it. I looked everywhere. Im thinking I might look for a 2100 off a 304 or an old ford truck.

I done the 2100 swap on my 258. I capped my vacum advanced and have had no problems, Runs great. Might be worth a try.

Steve

I did that at first but it ran like crap! I just pluged it into a regular port. It does ok just I have no top speed. Today I found the power valve was leaking so I fixed that. Im thinking that might have been one of the problems.

CJ-usa said:
I did that at first but it ran like crap! I just pluged it into a regular port. It does ok just I have no top speed. Today I found the power valve was leaking so I fixed that. Im thinking that might have been one of the problems.

If your power valve was leaking, check for fuel in the oil in the crank case!!! I say that because I had the same thing happen on a 258 I was working on long ago and it leaked down into the motor and mixed gas with the oil. We noticed it by luck. I figure if we had cranked it, it may have been like one big explosion. We fixed the power valve, changed the oil and cranked her and it ran.

Matt

I thought about the same thing that day. I changed the oil. It was kind of thin. After I changed the power valve I checked the timing, capped the vacuum advance and it's been running great. I still dont have the top end like I did but I do need a tune up. Now im looking into getting new jets. Im thinking I might try to upgrade them a little.

Jason

Back