24 volt winch

You need a new motor or two separate batteries in series with a 24V alternator or dual-voltage controller.

New motor is probably going to be cheaper, simpler, and lighter.

There was an article in 4WOR a few months ago about this very subject, I know I still have the issue, let me check the specifics.

SHawn isn't too far off though with the voltage controller, but I think it'll be cheaper than a motor.

let me dig it up, I'll get back.
Kevin

This is the heavy route, just take two deep cycle batteries and wire them in series, it will double the voltage and run your winch. A friend of mine has one from the military and he runs two truck batteries right now until he can setup two alts.

I have an old warn military winch that used to be 24 volts (from a hummer), looks almost identical to what you have there, looked into many options for running it, Ended up having triangle alternator and starters rebuild it and replace the motor and solenoids with 12 volt stuff, ended up costing me about $300 but it works flawlessly and is about the strongest winch I have ever seen

Easy

I have the same winch, easy solution.

Run two batteries, there are plenty of setups for this you only need an isolator set up on your regular charging system.

Just put your winch in series with both batteries, and you also have a backup battery in case your main fails to start your vehicle.

Here's a description:

EMERGENCY START BATTERY ISOLATOR FOR 2 & 3 BATTERY SET-UPS
For all vehicles (exc. '86-up Chevy, GMC and Toyota)
90 amps
Self-contained electrical system converts alternator or generator to safe, efficient charger
Crossover switch to let you start engine from auxiliary battery when main battery is drained. Automatically charges auxiliary battery as you drive, never overcharges . Self-contained electrical system converts alternator or generator to safe, efficient charger . Automatically isolate both the auxiliary and vehicle batteries so the discharge of one does not drain the other's power. Handle alternators up to 90 amps. Rectifiers and heat sink allow maximum heat dissipation without mechanical attachment. Eliminate shorting problems. Solid state. For all 6- to 36-volt, negative-ground electrical systems. UL listed.

http://www.jcwhitney.com/autoparts/...tSearchGroup/ss-10101?Ntt=dual battery switch

EDIT: That is just one from JC Whitney that I found real quick, there are others out there, $46.95 from JC Whitney.
There are several on ebay.

;)

Yeah, but what is an isolated system going to cost you? Two good batts at ~$100/ea, plus the isolator... maybe $250 plus the cost of cabling, tie-downs, etc.

Or just buy a new motor. Off the top of my head, a motor for an MX12085 was $250ish from Warn. At even money, I think you've still saved a bunch of weight and some heartache.

Just giving options, nice having a spare battery too.
Do you really worry about weight on your 4x4?

You already have your main battery:
2nd battery-$100 (maybe)
isolator-$50 or less
more cables-max $50
having a spare when your battery is dead-priceless

Plus the speed on the 24v winch is the fastest I have ever seen.

Like I said, just giving options. :cool:

The Beast said:
Do you really worry about weight on your 4x4?

You betcha! Less weight = less need to USE the winch, either for extraction from getting stuck, or to pull yourself out when you break something.

Plus the speed on the 24v winch is the fastest I have ever seen.

51 feet per minute is quick, but any of the normal high speed Warn's are faster.. 8274 is ~50% faster, for example.

Rich, do you have a part number for the 12v motor for the winch off the humvee?
I had 3 of these, sold one and my brother-in-law wants the last one, but the motor is burned up.
He would love to have a 12v motor for it.

Or the Warn part number for the original winch, big spool. I guess you know the one I mean.

That wasn't me... That was Lee. Give Warn a call.. They've been VERY helpful to me in the past with problems.

With any luck, it might cross over to something that www.wms1.com carries.. They make great motors, and I've used them before, and was VERY happy, back when I had the "Warmsey 9000" on the FJ. Price was good as well.

It would be best if you CALL them. ;)

LOL, called Warn and they said to shoot them a pic and they will identify it.

If you switch to a 12v motor you have to change the solenoids too.

Now to get back down to the in-laws to shoot a pic, will be at least this weekend.
:(

http://www.warn.com/

Back