30" Wangler A/Ts or 30" Revo A/Ts

drew and not u

I just got my first jeep (a '96 XJ) and it's got the stock 27" tires on it now. I have the option to go ahead and mount a set of almost new 30" Goodyear Wrangler A/T's with the stock rims from an '04 TJ Sport right now and pay the guy later. A friend also told me he might be willing to sell me his set of Bridgeston Deuler Revo A/T's mounted on the stock rims from a 91 YJ Sahara. I know the Revos are supposed to be awesome tires, but I would have to wait a while on these and they would probably cost me more.

I guess the biggest thing I need to know is how decent are the Wranglers that come on TJs?

drew and not u said:
I just got my first jeep (a '96 XJ) and it's got the stock 27" tires on it now. I have the option to go ahead and mount a set of almost new 30" Goodyear Wrangler A/T's with the stock rims from an '04 TJ Sport right now and pay the guy later. A friend also told me he might be willing to sell me his set of Bridgeston Deuler Revo A/T's mounted on the stock rims from a 91 YJ Sahara. I know the Revos are supposed to be awesome tires, but I would have to wait a while on these and they would probably cost me more.
I guess the biggest thing I need to know is how decent are the Wranglers that come on TJs?

Is your XJ stock height? I think at a minimum, you'll need to cut the fenders, maybe even stuff a budget boost on there.
To answer your exact question, I don't think the Goodyear Wranglers are much more than an all-terrain tire, depends on how much you're gonna ask from them.

The Wranglers are just a basic AT. I had them on my TJ when I bought it. I was able to make it throgh part of uwharrie (which isn't saying much). I also had a set of the Revo's and they are good tires but if it comes down to it I would save the money on the tires and put it towards other stuff on the jeep you are not going to see a huge difference between the two tires in my opinion.

Thanks guys. The XJ is stock height (for now) and will be used primarily as a daily driver. On the weekends I will want to take it rock crawling (not a mud fan) and to places like URE and maybe tellico (which will definitely be pushing it). If there won't be much difference between the two I am going to go with the Wranglers for now, and spend money one getting a front locker right away, as that seems to be one of the most effective upgrades for the money. I am also planning on fabricating some rockers sometime this or next month. In the long term, I'd like to put on a 1" bodylift to get some clearance for the tires, and eventually do an SOA conversion and add some 33" M/Ts.

It's in really great condition aside from either the transmission or tranfer case being dead. It's an automatic and it won't move. We're going to disconnect the driveshaft and put it in gear to determine whether it's the transfer case or the transmission. If it's the transmission, we've already got one lined up for $100. Otherwise, an XJ transfer case won't be hard to find. We're going to get that figured out this afternoon and hopefully have this thing on the road by the end of next weekend.

drew and not u said:
I'd like to put on a 1" bodylift to get some clearance for the tires

no you won't... the XJ is a Unibody. there is no frame to lift it away from. as Tony mentioned, budget boost is the next closest thing.

Ah, well that would nix that then. The two jeepers I know both have Wranglers (YJ and TJ) so I don't know as much about XJs (which is assuming I know much about YJs or TJs, which I don't). But that's why I'm here!
Thanks again guys!

drew and not u said:
Ah, well that would nix that then. The two jeepers I know both have Wranglers (YJ and TJ) so I don't know as much about XJs (which is assuming I know much about YJs or TJs, which I don't). But that's why I'm here!
Thanks again guys!

Go ahead and get a budget boost (coil spacers for the front/longer shackles in the rear) and that should clear the 30's. I did the bb and some fender trimming on my old '88 XJ and fit some 31's under it.

Congrats on the XJ! You may find it to be more steady on the trails compared to its Wrangler counterparts thanks to the longer wheelbase. How wide are these tires you're looking at? There are plenty of people who run 30x9.50's on stock suspensions and only rub a very slight bit when turning. Any wider and you'll need a wheel with less backspacing.

drew and not u said:
and eventually do an SOA conversion

Oh, and XJ's already come SOA.

Haha, thanks for the tips again guys, I just noticed that it was already SOA when I mounted the new tires. They are 30" (or the metric equivalent) Goodyear Wrangler GS-A 30x9.50 mounted on the 15x8" Canyon's from an '04 TJ Sport (which have a lot of backspacing). The problem I've run into is that the inside corner of the rim hits the tie rod when turned all the way. We're going to adjust the steering stops to hopefully eliminate this problem.
Here's a pic of them mounted for anyone that cares:
ai23.photobucket.com_albums_b392_drew_and_not_u_IMG_1568.jpg

thanks again!

RenegadeStang said:
So why'd you end up going with "street" tires?

Because they were essentially free, and this is also going to be my daily driver. I would have had to shell out a few hundred for the Revos, and decided that would be money better spent on M/Ts, lift, and armor. Plus those 27" tires looked so awful! I won't be wheeling on these tires, this set will be primarily for the road and beach. Once I get some more money saved up I am going to get a lift (probably the 4" RE economy lift a) and a set of 32" or 33" MT's on a set of crap rims to use on the trail.

drew and not u said:
Because they were essentially free, and this is also going to be my daily driver. I would have had to shell out a few hundred for the Revos, and decided that would be money better spent on M/Ts, lift, and armor. Plus those 27" tires looked so awful! I won't be wheeling on these tires, this set will be primarily for the road and beach. Once I get some more money saved up I am going to get a lift (probably the 4" RE economy lift a) and a set of 32" or 33" MT's on a set of crap rims to use on the trail.

Gotcha, and nice signature! :shaking:

Drew,

Do you need a 30" spare by any chance? I've got 3 30x9.5 GS-A's in my garage that I'm looking to give away, so if you want one let me know.

Back