4.3 Radiator and Fan Questions

Ricky B

Wiiide Open
1. Ok so most of the guys over on zuwharrie run the griffin 19x22 raditor on their samurais that they swapped 4.3's into. And they all get them from the same ebay store that sells em for like 170+30 shipping here:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ALUM...ryZ33602QQssPageNameZWD1VQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Now the thing is with my blazer im gonna have alot more space for the rad so since its all the same price for radiators sizes 22, 26, 27.5, 31 all by 19 inches so which size do ya'll think I should get bearing in mind all the samurai guys run the 19x22 on their 4.3 with no prob.

2. Second question what kinda electric fan should I run?
IE:
dual fans, or single?
What kinda CFM?
Size?
Should I worry about being able to turn it off when I want to?

And then also if anyone knows of a cheaper route then the griffin rad i listed above that will still work well let me know.

Thanks

typically the 4.3 isn't that hard to cool, so the simple method would be to stay stock.
Being able to cut it off for a deep water crossing is nice since you won't be throwing water back on your engine, but, how many trails we have around where that's an issue?
If not stock, I would see if a Taurus fan will work. Simple to wire and plentiful at the bone yards for $25 to $35.

Have you checked Summit for the radiator, at least it's free shipping.

The radiators sold with the Summit brand are 159-169

I have one of these in my '66 and it works great.

Even better i have my catalog handy right next to my PC.

Part #'s

SUM-380325

And then there are the HOWE brand aluminum radiators which range from $199-206

part#
HRE-342A
*****2A28
*****2AA
*****2B
*****2E
*****2A28F
*****2AF
*****2EF

Even a Griffin 22x19 is only 189.95, and again free shipping!
GRI-1-25182-x

searh pirate to wire up fan. for the same money u are talking for a rad u can go to muscle motor sports and get a nice 4 core race rad. i did that with my 22re in the buggy and it was awesome!

for my auto trans, i just went to local parts store and got the biggest trans cooler they had. It was for a Class A Motorhome. That' s all i have as the radiator did not have a provision for a auto trans. So far so good after about 4 years. I want to get a remote mount cooler and temp gauge, but am lazy about doing so.

I would still use an external tranny cooler. They cool the tranny fluid down much better than one in the radiator. Think about this. The coolant in your radiator is at 190* (or whatever your t stat is) That is the coolest your tranny fluid will ever get when running. Remember that heat is your trannys main enemy so the cooler the better. Also it adds more heat to the coolant so the radiator has to work harder to get rid of that heat also. If you've got the room (and it sounds like you do), I'd go with an external trans and oil cooler. (If you're gonna have one of those too,)

Back