4 runner auto tranny woes

OBX Fisherman

The automatic tranny in my 92 4 runner is acting strange and I wonder if anyone has any ideas what it might be. It started last weekend and it acts like someone is shifting the tranny from drive to neutral while I'm going down the road. The engine will suddenly tack up and then when I let off the gas the tranny will "re engage." After this happend I check the tranny fluid and sure enough it was very low. I added 2 quarts to it and she drove great for 3 days. Now its acting up again. I rechecked the fluid and its full, actually a little over. Also the fluid doesn't appear to have any water in it either. This will happen after the vehicle is warmed up. I think I change the tranny fluid this weekend and see if that fixes anything.

Another strange thing thats been happening is the speedometer quits working for a few seconds. It jumps back and forth and sometime quits for 5 minutes or more. I can't believe this might be related to the tranny, but who knows!

Anyone have any ideas? If the auto is toast I'm leaning heavily to swapping in a manual. Anyone have a 2nd gen 4 runner or tacoma doner I can pull parts from?!

Thanks

Gary

I may be wrong (imagine that) but as for swapping autos for manuals and vice-versa, I think the crank is different for autos vs manuals. It's the flywheel vs flex plate attaching configuration. Anyway, the electronic speedo output gizmo on the t-case and/or the connectors (water, corrosion) can conceivably cause the symptoms you describe. Also, the detent cable that goes between the throttle arm and the detent switch in the tranny may be out of adjustment, or the switch itself may be broken. There's a less-than-BB sized SS ball in the exposed end of the cable near the throttle arm. Less than half that ball should be visible looking across the sheath opening on the throttle end of the cable when the throttle is closed, and there should be slack in the cable. If not, there's an adjustment problem, and if it was too tight, it probably broke the detent switch.

Just on an off-chance, check the harnesses where they pass close to the catastrophic converger. Sometimes they'll get out of the securing devices and come into contact with the converter surface. That causes melting of the insulation and shorting of the wires in spite of the heat wrap on the cable. This is most often involving the O2 sensors, in which case the engine just shuts down, but it can happen to the tranny harness, too.

Hope that info helps.

radioman said:
I may be wrong (imagine that) but as for swapping autos for manuals and vice-versa, I think the crank is different for autos vs manuals. It's the flywheel vs flex plate attaching configuration. Anyway, the electronic speedo output gizmo on the t-case and/or the connectors (water, corrosion) can conceivably cause the symptoms you describe. Also, the detent cable that goes between the throttle arm and the detent switch in the tranny may be out of adjustment, or the switch itself may be broken. There's a less-than-BB sized SS ball in the exposed end of the cable near the throttle arm. Less than half that ball should be visible looking across the sheath opening on the throttle end of the cable when the throttle is closed, and there should be slack in the cable. If not, there's an adjustment problem, and if it was too tight, it probably broke the detent switch.
Just on an off-chance, check the harnesses where they pass close to the catastrophic converger. Sometimes they'll get out of the securing devices and come into contact with the converter surface. That causes melting of the insulation and shorting of the wires in spite of the heat wrap on the cable. This is most often involving the O2 sensors, in which case the engine just shuts down, but it can happen to the tranny harness, too.
Hope that info helps.

Dude were did you come up with this crap. The kickdown cable is not his problem, and it is not melted wiring problems. Could be a soleniod in the tranny but most likely your tranny is taking a shit. Furthermore the crank is not different I have never seen any make, or model switch the crank pattern btwn auto's and manuals and surely toyota is not that stupid to have 2 cranks in the same motor. you can switch flexplates for flywheels all day long.

Cperry said:
the crank is not different I have never seen any make, or model switch the crank pattern btwn auto's and manuals and surely toyota is not that stupid to have 2 cranks in the same motor. you can switch flexplates for flywheels all day long.

Chrysler did it in the big blocks for years. I once had to tear down a new motor (383) and have the crank machined for the four speed input shaft on a manual swap into a challenger. :rolleyes:

Greg
Im related to no-one

Agree w/ cperry, the crank for Toyotas is the same regardless of the tranny. FRom what I've read, swapping auto for manual is pretty easyon these vehicles,yes you'll have to change the bellhousing to match the tranny, but it's a bolt-on change,no problem.
Biggest issue is wiring, you have to "fool" the ECUinto thinking you're always in neutral to avoid the cancel switch problem.

As for teh speedo, I believe you havet he elctronic sensor that goes to teh tranny? (not the old-school cable) I've heard of other guys having problems w/ this, the sensor may just be toast... or loose.

I apologize for being stupid and ignorant and not nearly so brilliant as cperry obviously is. I was just going by experience with some Toyota products that I have had personal ownership experience with over 40 years of wheeling. Obviously I am completely mistaken and possibly have been stricken with Alzheimers. Sorry to have ruined your day, Mr. Perry, whomever you may be. I will never make the mistake again.

I have an auto tranny w/ tcase if need be. $200 or I have a manual tranny w/ Tcase $250
I'll bring it to uwharrie next weekend.
Or I live near hickory.

828-446-6749
Justin

radioman said:
I apologize for being stupid and ignorant and not nearly so brilliant as cperry obviously is. I was just going by experience with some Toyota products that I have had personal ownership experience with over 40 years of wheeling. Obviously I am completely mistaken and possibly have been stricken with Alzheimers. Sorry to have ruined your day, Mr. Perry, whomever you may be. I will never make the mistake again.

my apologies, i did not mean for it to come out so harsh.

UNBREAKABLE said:
I have an auto tranny w/ tcase if need be. $200 or I have a manual tranny w/ Tcase $250
I'll bring it to uwharrie next weekend.
Or I live near hickory.
828-446-6749
Justin

Thanks for the offer, but I think I've fixed the problem... :beer:

Back