4runner fan on all the time

Flipper

I have heard of fan clutches going bad and not being able to spin enough to keep the engine cool at idle or on extremely hot days, but lately I've noticed a power/mileage loss and excessive fan noise all the time. Can a fan clutch fail and cause the fan to run with the engine all the time?

If so, does the clutch / fan assembly simply unbolt from the pulley?

Yes it can seen it happen. It does just unbolt frome the pulley, but you will probably have to take the belt off to do it. With engine off (Of course) and cold, try to spin the fan. It shouldspin just a little. Not free wheel, but you should feel some resistance there. If you can't spin it, it's bad. Get it fixed soon cause I've seen the fan explode because of this. Makes a mess of stuff, including the hood.

its cold (haven't driven it in 3 hours) and i can spin it easily.

Try driving it around the block slow. You should hear the fan a lot at first and then it should quiet down. Just had a thought... Does it have an electric fan in front of the radiator?

it does have an electric fan in front of the radiator. it only comes on when the A/C is on. It is loud at first, and then still loud, and then still loud after an hour of driving.

Try spinning it after driving around for a while. It sounds like it locks up and has to get really cool to unlock. Or you could just go get one...

ok, here is what happens. When cold, I can spin the fan. When I first start it, it is on and loud etc. During this time I can stop the blades when running. After 30 seconds to one minute, it goes off and the drive is pleasant. Then, when the engine warms to operating temperature, it comes back on and stays on the rest of the drive. When the engine is at operating temp, I can shut the engine off and still move the fan with my hands. However, with the engine running I cannot stop the fan. I guess I'll drop the $150 on a replacement, although it doesnt make sense to me at all.

It sounds to me like it is OK. Maybe just starting to go out. I can't say that I've heard one that was so loud when driving. Ususally they will kind of mediate between full lock and off when running down the road depending on the temp of air coming through the radiator. $150 is a lot of money, but better that than to have it lock up completely and come apart.

i bought an oem part from the net for 150 overnighted to my doorstep. dealer price is 189. I'll post up tommorow if it works!

Back