4Runner value?

highcj5

Tossing the idea around of selling my daughter’s 4runner? She isn’t to happy about it. She goes to school at Virginia Tech and comes home every weekend. Killing me on gas. It’s 1 hour and 30 minute drive from us. Looking at getting her a vehicle that is a little better on gas?
It is a 1999 4Runner, limited, 257,xxx on the miles. It does have the rear locker and everything works on it. It has been a good vehicle with normal maintenance. Paint is peeling on both bumpers.
I’m just trying to get a figure on asking price, because they are all over the place on prices on marketplace? Thanks, Jesse
IMG_5420.jpeg

Maybe the solution is to get her to keep her ass there and not come home every weekend :laughing:

Regarding price you're reasonable to be on the higher end with having the locker, limited, everything working.
The big question is always the frame, how rusty it is. If its spotless that adds a lot as well since the drivetrain is good for damn near forever.

No rust whatsoever. I have a 4runner as well. I know they are prone to severe rust. It’s a good vehicle and I trust it.
It would be nice if she kept her butt up there? lol. She graduates this year after just 3 years of tech, but she has 4 more to go. If she gets excepted into the vet program. She’s a smart kid and I try not to bust her butt to much.
It’s a clean 4runner, but not perfect. Runs great.

Keep it, fuel cost is always there, having a vehicle she likes and comes home in reliably is worth it. My kids daily is a big block powered cj7 on one tons and 40's. He gets 9mpg.

You'll likely regret selling it if you do and won't be able to find a comparable unit to replace it with when you want to later.

Along the lines of where I thought @Clubbs was going - if this is solely about saving money you have some math to do.
What is the average use in gas now - real numbers - and what is it likely to be in the replacement vehicle? I'm guessing this is mostly highway miles, and you're around 18 mpg, unless you go with something unusual for the replacement you're looking at what, maybe 30 in new vehicle? OK so over how many miles in a year? Spitball math at 10k a year, at 3.50 a gal, 18 mpg thats ~$1950 a year in gas. At 30 mpg ists still ~$1200/year in gas.
So it will save you $750 a year for a couple years. Woohoo!
But whats the cost for new registration, titliing, etc? And then what about the cost of any repairs to new vehicle? And this assumes new vehicle is free trade, which it def won't be. A reliable 30mpg vehicle that has the same lack of repair / maintenance cost you have now will definitely net you a loss of a couple thousand dollars. So you're possibly looking at a 3-4 year period just to break even.

Insurance may be cheaper though, thats worth something.

Sell the 4runner for $6000. Drive her back to school and buy her this cream puff 91 Cavalier for $3,000 when you get there. Save that gas money and buy you a new toy in 3 or 4 years.

Yea. Not 100% positive I’m going to sell it. She likes the 4runner but she is putting a ton of miles on it. She does want the 4 wheel drive, so she can drive to our pond when it is a little wet. When we bought it for her, it was hers to get her thru school. Next car is supposed to be her responsibility. After she graduates this may. She will have 4 more years at a vet school. I just bought my son a venza, after learning from my daughter. Something better on gas. It is also newer. So it can last him thru his years at school.
I’ve just been throwing out the idea of getting a newer car for her? She can also use my 4runner when needed around here. :beer:

Back