4wd shops near boone?

JBsTrooper

I know when I lived there we had high country 4x4 (it was a car lot too) and for about a year HCORE 4x4. I couldn't find a website for HCORE anymore does it still exist? Any other info you have would be great. Thanks.

call HCORE4x4 - Aaron Bishop 828-773-8197
hes moved out to 421 on the NC/TN line.
hes full mechanical repair and fabwork.

Yup...Aaron's new shop is right at the state line. You will see a bunch of Jeeps and other rigs parked on the right hand side of the road. Hard right hand turn back down the hill to his shop if you are coming from Boone.

that's it...just the 2 shops? i thought i remembered more.
thanks for everybody's input.

Nah, that's about it. High country is barely a 4x4 shop (sorry to be honest). Go in there looking for basic builder parts like tabs or spring perches and you'll be told "we don't do any custom stuff." - Like them having a set of d44 spring perches on the shelf would be custom...

On top of that, they stock minimal RE parts and sell them for the same price you can direct order from RE for (at least if you're not buying a full kit- I'll be fair, I've only dropped a couple hundred in there, not the high $$$ that might warrant a discount). But from the buyer's perspective, why give them business if I can't take a look at it first and don't pay sales tax if I order direct (making it actually cheaper).

Aaron on the other hand is the man. He doesn't have the setup to stock a bunch of new parts but he's got everything else under control. He doesn't look at you like you've got 2 heads when you try to do something other than a typical 3.5" RE lift on TJ...

Lastly, high country doesn't have a willy's with a bush hog on it...

yeah, when i lived up there aaron rented a bay from high country. he did some good work for me. i've never bought anything inside high country before, except a set of tires.

thanks for the help.

High country is a joke, it used to be ok but unless you want a 4.5 in lift, 35s and an arb bumper then dont bother. Bushing are a custom job to them apparently. AAron will set you straight, he doesn't even have a lift, but still gets it done.

The guys there at High Country seem pretty nice and knowledgable to me. You guys are harsh lol...

boone

lol. bushings? never tried to get a shop to do that, elementary school child could do that for you. High Country is a great shop from all i know and the times i have been there! they went above and beyond for me once when i was up there.

The guys there at High Country seem pretty nice and knowledgable to me. You guys are harsh lol...

I cant take away from them completely. Brad has been a good person to deal with anytime Ive ever needed anything. Ordered stuff like shocks etc. Jesse installed the coilovers and spacers on the front of my old 4Runner and I never had an issue. Go in with part numbers of what you need and they can get it for you usually. The vague descriptions of shit will confuse any shop regardless of who it is. Still a good shop to deal with for bolt on stuff. But up here Aaron has become the one to go to whenever you need some custom work from a shop.

Stretch is dead on....when I worked there I would help people out and know what someone was talking about. My boss on the otherhand is a bolt on, straight out of the catalog kind of guy and has no interest in anything custom, like it or leave it. As far as Rubicon Express stuff, they actually stock a lot more than most shops...don't quite understand that one. Take a part number in there and he will help you but that's about it. It definately has it's ups and downs but if you want anything custom, Aaron is the only man in town now and will take good care of you.

On a lighter note, I will be helping them out and working friday Oct. 9, If you want a good deal stop by on your way to Mtn. City.

Micah

true man..that thing is the hot ticket
Ive had the dubious honor of taking my wife for a ride in it and that convinced her to let me get one of my own! thanks Aaron, youre the man.
alas, mine does not have said bushhog.
look, heres how I see it. he learned from Ralph Haner :beer::beer::beer::beer::beer::beer:, such as myself and therefore has street cred from the high county folks.

My boss on the otherhand is a bolt on, straight out of the catalog kind of guy and has no interest in anything custom, like it or leave it. As far as Rubicon Express stuff, they actually stock a lot more than most shops...don't quite understand that one.

Eh, 3 consecutive weeks I got a 1600 trac-bar, then a 1660 bracket, then some leaf spring clamps... All had to be ordered. Coulda just been an off month.

As for custom stuff, I wasn't looking for fab work, I was looking for parts...I left it. Went down the street to triplett and they hooked it up as usual. Coulda ordered a set of perches from ruffstuff for about what the material and my time cost me but this way they were done that afternoon. By the way, RE makes those same perches...Another thing that would have had to be ordered.

To be fair, I've never heard a bad thing about high country's wrench work and they sell quality stuff. Brad helped me find a good source for some cheap ZJ disc stuff when I was doing the swap and I got a decent price on some skyjacker hydros (also had to be ordered) there.

I have nothing personal against the place, I just can't think of a time when I've walked in the door and left with the thing I wanted the same day. I've got my own shop, do my own fab, and have the internet for parts. Even when trying (I like to support local businesses) I have a hard time fitting them in the equation.

I know cheap bastiges like me don't generate a lot of money for the industry so I can understand why they don't cater to me. Its all good, I definitely came off a bit harsh earlier. Every time I've been in there its been a pleasant experience, its just usually a step between going somewhere else or going home and ordering what I want.

Aaron just had a new baby, and dont seem to have much time for them internets right now. He's still working his arse off though. Well, until full on hunting season anyways:flipoff2:

Back