5 ton Hudson, good deal?

chris

cltdba
I have a chance to purchase this trailer new for $3,000. I'm wondering if this is a good deal or if there may be a better deal out there? To start with I'm pulling this with my 1/2 ton. I wanted to find the lightest 5 ton trailer I could and this one appears to be it. I'm a little concerned about it not being a deckover, but if worse comes to worse I could take the fender wells off. It is 8 feet wide though so it may not even be an issue. Please respond with your thoughts, comments, suggestions, etc.

By the way, I've already bought the Tekonsha P3 brake controller for my truck.

Trailer Brand: Hudson
Trailer Model: HSE18 DELUXE 5 TON
Trailer Year: 2010
MSRP: $3,539.00
Condition: New
Trailer Length: 18'
Trailer Type: Equipment Trailer Hd
Color: Black
Width: 8′
GVW: 12,000
Weight: 2,000
Axle: Tandem Axle

Standard Specifications

* GVWR: 12,000 lbs.
* Axles: (2) 5,200 lb.E-Z lube Dexter w/ Brakes
* Empty Weight: 2,000 lbs.
* Suspension: Multi-Leaf Spring
* Maximum Payload: 10,000 lbs. W/adequate hitch load
* Brakes: Electric 12" x 2" w/ break-a-way kit
* Overall Length: 24'
* Wheels: 15" x 6" White Spoke 6-bolt
* Deck Length: 18'
* Tires: ST 225/75 R15 8-PR
* Overall Width: 96"
* Jack Capacity: 5,000 lb. w/Foot
* Deck Width: 78"
* Main Frame: 7" Channel @ 9.8 lbs.
* Deck Height: 23"
* Crossmembers: 3" Channel @ 3.5 lbs.
* Hitch: Adj. 2 5/16" Ball Coupler
* Decking: 2" x 8" Treated Pine
* Hitch Height: 22" to 26"
* Tie Downs: 4" Stake Pockets
* Ramps: 4' Cleated Fully Adjustable
* Lights: DOT Approved w/ conduit
* Fenders: Diamond Plate
* Colors: Yellow or Black

Unless you truly need it, I wouldn't go with such a heavy trailer. If you are pulling with a 1/2 ton, you likely don't need it.

My Hudson is pretty close... only 17 years old & a 10K# model. Very stout trailer, but as has been stated... HEAVY. Aside from the weight, I *think* the GVWR of 12K# also means a Class A NCDL (10,001# is the magic number).

Regardless of what you get, watch the GVWR.

For instance, there's a bunch of rigs getting toted around on 5K# GVWR (2.5ton "Utility") trailers... Will it physically haul it? Sure. Is 5K# GVWR "enough" for your trailrig? That's 4K# rig PLUS the 1200#-1500# trailer weight...

Unfortunately, there a bunch of folks taking the "chance"... that they won't get ticketed, that they won't be involved in accident, and/or their insurance company will still pay out... when they're found criminally &/or civilly negligent. My money says the most likely scenario is the lawyers will come with a vengeance and the insurance companies for all parties involved will find a loophole (like "overloading") to leave you swinging!

Similarly, a few years ago, there was HUGE thread on POR about a guy that was towing his 35' toy-hauler with an under GVWR'd towrig, had a wreck, someone died, and he got a LARGE dose of everything described...

My thinking, 10K# is complete overkill to haul my rig, my buddy's 50HP tractor, a load of dirt or wood... one less thing to ever worry about.

Pics or link?
Also why 5 ton? That's a heavy trailer.

http://www.goldengait.com/inventory/details.php?stockNo=4805

Unless you truly need it, I wouldn't go with such a heavy trailer. If you are pulling with a 1/2 ton, you likely don't need it.

I need the heavier trailer because I haul bobcats from time to time. I always have to borrow a trailer when I do. According to the sales guy this trailer weighs 2,000 pounds. That's only slightly more than my utility trailer. The 12,000 GVWR means 2,000 for the trailer plus up to 10,000 payload. I'll be hauling 6200 pounds at most. My tag is already weighted for 14,000 pounds.

I do plan to upgrade my truck soon. For now I don't see where it would have any problems towing this trailer as I'm already towing about the same weight now without any brakes.

http://images.google.com/imgres?img...m=1&hl=en&sa=N&rlz=1R2ADRA_enUS367&tbs=isch:1
another heavy trailer for u! dont know if you need something that big, id do a little more searching for a car hauler

I looked at that one too. It's a lot heavier than the one I'm looking at. I had asked about it and then that's when the sales guy recommended this one.

My Hudson is pretty close... only 17 years old & a 10K# model. Very stout trailer, but as has been stated... HEAVY. Aside from the weight, I *think* the GVWR of 12K# also means a Class A NCDL (10,001# is the magic number).

Regardless of what you get, watch the GVWR.
For instance, there's a bunch of rigs getting toted around on 5K# GVWR (2.5ton "Utility") trailers... Will it physically haul it? Sure. Is 5K# GVWR "enough" for your trailrig? That's 4K# rig PLUS the 1200#-1500# trailer weight...

Unfortunately, there a bunch of folks taking the "chance"... that they won't get ticketed, that they won't be involved in accident, and/or their insurance company will still pay out... when they're found criminally &/or civilly negligent. My money says the most likely scenario is the lawyers will come with a vengeance and the insurance companies for all parties involved will find a loophole (like "overloading") to leave you swinging!

Similarly, a few years ago, there was HUGE thread on POR about a guy that was towing his 35' toy-hauler with an under GVWR'd towrig, had a wreck, someone died, and he got a LARGE dose of everything described...
My thinking, 10K# is complete overkill to haul my rig, my buddy's 50HP tractor, a load of dirt or wood... one less thing to ever worry about.

I don't expect to ever go over 10k in weight. Most of the time I'll be around 6k total with the trailer. I'm one of those guys hauling my rig on a utility trailer now. I'm trying to get away from that.

So do you guys think this is a good deal or do I need to keep looking for a similar trailer?

if you are going to be upgrading your truck soon go for it but make sure you get enough truck for the trailer.

I don't expect to ever go over 10k in weight. Most of the time I'll be around 6k total with the trailer. <snip>

So do you guys think this is a good deal or do I need to keep looking for a similar trailer?

That's why I bought the 10K# trailer... Overkill for hauling a Jeep by at least 2tons, but it's done and never have to worry about it again... (The point I was originally wanting to make rather than focusing mainly on the the whole GVWR deal :eek:)

I've been pleased with Hudson overall (though the wiring bites)... built like a tank! Mine had a full width ramp (that the PO cutdown to individual ramps) & bars instead of chains to hold them forward. The fenders are like 3/16" plate, so I've never worried about driving over them (though everything has fit inside them so far).

I picked the trailer up this morning. $3300 out the door with spare tire, tax, tag, title and new ball. I can tell it's there when pulling it, but it's not because of a lack of power in the truck. Rather it's because of the shook up guts from it bouncing around empty! lol Can't wait to put a load on it and see how she does. I don't have my brake adapter yet. I was about to pay $170 + $20 adapter for it at GGT. I ordered one from etrailer.com for $149 and it came with the exact adapter I need for my truck.

If I have to get my CDLs then so be it. No big deal.

EDIT:

http://www.ncdot.org/DMV/driver_services/commercialtrucking/requirements.html

"Commercial Class A - Any combination of vehicles with a gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) of 26,001 pounds or more, provided the GVWR of the vehicle or vehicles being towed is in excess of 10,000 pounds."

Doesn't seem to me like I'll need a CDL judging by what that says. My GVWR of my truck and trailer is less than 26,001. I think...

2003 Dodge Ram 1500, quad cab, short bed GVWR : 6650
2010 Hudson 5 ton trailer GVWR: 12,000
Total GVWR: 18,650

Should be safe as long as they don't make me include the GVWR of the rigs or Bobcats I'm hauling. :p

It doesnt matter if you dont plan on going over 10.001 lbs. You go by what the trailers GVWR is. So If the trailer is rated for more than that you will have to have a CDL "A".

The following is taken from the FMCSR handbook, and if ya don't know what that is ya probably shouldn't hand out advice on the subject ( just my Jackass opinion! )

Class A CDL: Vehicle Weight (lbs.): 26,000+, Towing Weight: 10,001+, Passenger Requirement: N/A

Class B CDL: Vehicle Weight (lbs.): 26,000+, Towing Weight: <10,001, Passenger Requirement: N/A

Class C CDL: Vehicle Weight (lbs.): <26,000+, Towing Weight: N/A, Passenger Requirement: 16+

If you read carefully, unless you are DRIVING a vehicle over 26,000 lbs pulling a trailer then you DO NOT need a CDL A or B

The following is taken from the FMCSR handbook, and if ya don't know what that is ya probably shouldn't hand out advice on the subject ( just my Jackass opinion! )

How exactly does "Motor Carrier" (generally applied only to commercial vehicles... meaning any vehicle being used in a trade or business) regs apply to the pickup trucks & trailers owned by individuals hauling personal property?... the topic here

Perhaps you missed the fine print within the FMCSR outlining you're still subject to various STATE & LOCAL laws outside the scope of FMCSA's guidelines?... NC (state) regs being the topic here

Knowing what FMCSR is and being able to READ it are 2 different things... Just my jackass opinion! :flipoff2:

Edit: Tom is still correct, NC will require you to have a Class A for the trailer as it's placarded OVER 10000#...

How exactly does "Motor Carrier" (generally applied only to commercial vehicles... meaning any vehicle being used in a trade or business) regs apply to the pickup trucks & trailers owned by individuals hauling personal property?... the topic here
Perhaps you missed the fine print within the FMCSR outlining you're still subject to various STATE & LOCAL laws outside the scope of FMCSA's guidelines?... NC (state) regs being the topic here
Knowing what FMCSR is and being able to READ it are 2 different things... Just my jackass opinion! :flipoff2:
Edit: Tom is still correct, NC will require you to have a Class A for the trailer as it's placarded OVER 10000#...

"Commercial Class A - Any combination of vehicles with a gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) of 26,001 pounds or more, provided the GVWR of the vehicle or vehicles being towed is in excess of 10,000 pounds."

The way I read that is any truck weighting 26,001 pounds or more must have Class A. Any truck and trailer combo must have Class A if either the truck or trailer weighs more than 10,000 pounds and the total weight between the two equals or exceeds 26,001.

Maybe I'm just stretching it to read what I want. I dunno. Either way I'll call the DMV directly and find out exactly what I need. I mean it's not like the CDL test is that hard.

That's they way I read it too. I'll give the DMV a call on Monday just to make crystal clear. The guy at the trailer place didn't think I'd need one either.

Caver Dave, you missed my point which was that TKnopp was INSISTING that this guy needs a cdl A, I Know I came off as an ass but I'm tired of people steering folks in the wrong direction with bad info. FYI I have had an "A" with every endorsement known to man since 10yrs before the words CDL were even thought of....Thanks Rockmafia for the backup

Back