6L80 transmission in 2017 Silverado

buellconvert

So I have a 2017 Silverado with the 6L80 and it's got 60,000 miles on it, it had 42,000 when I got it about 18 months ago. I am sure I am not the only one that has complaints about how this transmission shifts and just the general weirdness of how it shifts. I just did a pan drop/filter replacement this weekend and replaced about 8 quarts of ACDelco Dexron VI synthetic atf and I must say it's definitely shifting a lot better and the temps are lower than they were previously. Hopefully this will continue and I won't encounter any of the issues that can plaque these transmissions. I've also got the Range AFM disabler and that definitely helps with just the seat of the pants driving impressions and keeps it from going into V4 mode, I couldn't stand that. Does anyone have any issues or bad experiences with the 6L80 transmission?

Sent from my SM-A115U using Tapatalk

The 6l80 is supposed to be the "good" transmission in the newer trucks and the 8 speed is considered to be the POS. I have a 11 yukon with the 6l80 with 220K and its way better than my 16 sierra with the 8 speed until you get up above 50 mph.

The 6l80 is supposed to be the "good" transmission in the newer trucks and the 8 speed is considered to be the POS. I have a 11 yukon with the 6l80 with 220K and its way better than my 16 sierra with the 8 speed until you get up above 50 mph.
Id hate to see the junk then.
We are now on GM replacement trans 2 in 206k miles.

I've heard terrible stories of the 8 speed and I guess I need to consider myself lucky to have 6 speed! With the miles on mine being at just above 60k it sounds like I need to start setting aside funds for a replacement in a couple years...fingers crossed!

Sent from my SM-A115U using Tapatalk

So does the 6L80, have a dipstick? I bought a 2015 / 8 speed,[8L90] that shuddered right out of the Factory. GM did replace it, but it wasn't the truck I wanted. Traded in on My Ordered 2016 /8 speed [which I thought GM had fixed]. It was fine, Until 25,000, then the shudder came back! it's the Torque converter clutches, slipping. GM dealers are instructed to test drive, then do a Double flush, with new fluid. Neither my 15 or 16 model, has a dipstick / refill tube. Service manager also told me GM had explored different formulas of ATF, to cure the problem. Mobile 1 has been formulating the new ATF, & you can only get it at a GM Dealer.
I'm at 42K now, with no problems, except always Wondering, When. I intend to get it serviced again before the Powertrain warranty expires [5 yr,/60K], even I if have to pay for it. Which someone would come up with a 10 sp. swap!

Last edited:
Back