700R4

DirtyD803

I was told that it will bolt right up in the place of a TH350, something about its the same housing or something. i forget. Is that true?

Also if it true, does that mean the T-case from the TH350 will bolt to the 700R4?

The bellhousing on all small block v8 chevys (for practical purposes) from 55-88 are identical and also shared with the 4.3.

So on that end the 700 will bolt right up to your motor.
Having said that they (in MOST) cases have a different spline output so you need to grab the Tcase that was with the 700.

They are not identical in length, but driveshaft compatibility depends on ho you talk to, I haave heard of people making it work, but never my experience IM you have to change DS length....BTW MAKE sure you understand thee TV cable and dont confuse it for a kick down cable...many 700s have met an untimely death due to this.

Not necessarily...

Is your 700r4 a "K case" from a 4x4 or a 2wd? The K is heavier duty and has a longer output shaft.

You can mate your 700r4 to traansfer case without a new shaft or without cutting it down. In my driveline, I used a 700r4 (4x4 K Case) to a NP203 to NP205.

This adapter mounts to a standard 350-203 adapter plate.

Transmission Parts USA
Code: 609-00007Q35A
Item: 7Q-35A Quick-Swap switch kit 700 to 350 4x4 transmission swap kit

It was under $50.

ai71.photobucket.com_albums_i135_sff5758_YJ_20Buggy_20Build_700r4toNP203_1.jpg

Dont have a 700R4 yet. I have a TH350 that needs to be replaced and I would like to have OD so i am going to swap in a the 700r4, i guess I will keep my eye out for the "K case". to bad, i know were a few S10 700r4s are, dont think they are the 'K case'

s10s are behind a 4.3 and have weaker internals, stay away.

Also be careful to differentiate a 700 from a 4l60.
They look similar and are fairly different (actually similar internals just different for application)

not ot rob the thread or nothing but i have a ? which tranny is in my 1999 s-10 blazer? it has the 4.3.

You can put a 700R4 in place of a TH350. They both have a 27 spline output shaft in the 4x4 versions and the tailhousings even have the same 4-bolt pattern to them. A 700R4 is longer at 23.4 inches longer, whereas a TH350 is 21.75 inches long.

I'm a big fan of the 700R4, they are a very versatile transmission, but they got a bad reputation in their early years. I have one in my truck and even built it myself :driver:

If you need any more information on the swap, let me know.

You can put a 700R4 in place of a TH350. They both have a 27 spline output shaft in the 4x4 versions and the tailhousings even have the same 4-bolt pattern to them.

Easy there skippy
the 700 was mated to....np208, np241, and np205s.
There are 2 different tail shafts

All the 4x4 700R4 tailshafts are the same, 27 spline, male. On the 205, the TH350 it used a male to male coupler sleve. Also, the 208 and 241 are quite similar (they even share the same adapter), so no differences there. And, the NP205 never came behind the 700R4, only the TH350.

But there is a difference in length between the 700 and 350 output shafts.

Keep believing that, or stop by sometime I have two in the yard.

What time should we come by.I would like to see this mythical factory 700R4/205 combo.The 205's were no longer bein used in 1/2 tons by the time the 700's came along.No such combo.

got a fresh 700r4 2wd off of a 87 350 250.00
was a 4x4 changed out put shaft for divorced case ..
so plans have changed..

Easy there skippy
the 700 was mated to....np208, np241, and np205s.
There are 2 different tail shafts

Really? Mind explaining this one to me? I've only built, oh...a dozen of these.
If you've got a FACTORY 700r4/NP205 combo, I think you might want to alert GM of their folly...Because even they don't know that they built it that way.

Youre right about the 208/241s, though.

Two different tail shafts?? Meaning 2wd and 4wd? Yeah, those are the only two that I've seen. Got another secret from GM? Please, let me know.

Not trying to be an arse, just being real.

I don't want to get in the middle of the 700r4 vs. 4l60. Both are good and can be built to handle more. The differences that I see that make them harder to work with is the electronics and shift cables. For the t-cases and size I would use the 350 and build it, drag race parts, reverse valve body, oversize cooler,.... The trannys are cheap, easy to come by, and easy to build, but it doesn't have overdrive. If you need someone to build any of these trannys I have a friend who is very good with them.

Chris

All the 4x4 700R4 tailshafts are the same, 27 spline, male. On the 205, the TH350 it used a male to male coupler sleve. Also, the 208 and 241 are quite similar (they even share the same adapter), so no differences there. And, the NP205 never came behind the 700R4, only the TH350.
But there is a difference in length between the 700 and 350 output shafts.

What time should we come by.I would like to see this mythical factory 700R4/205 combo.The 205's were no longer bein used in 1/2 tons by the time the 700's came along.No such combo.

Really? Mind explaining this one to me? I've only built, oh...a dozen of these.
If you've got a FACTORY 700r4/NP205 combo, I think you might want to alert GM of their folly...Because even they don't know that they built it that way.
Youre right about the 208/241s, though.
Two different tail shafts?? Meaning 2wd and 4wd? Yeah, those are the only two that I've seen. Got another secret from GM? Please, let me know.
Not trying to be an arse, just being real.

I'm going to answer this and then jump off the thread hi jack.

A limited number of 700s exist that were "factory" installed with NP205 T cases in 2 different configurations. Most were industrial vehicles, none were dealer lot vehicles.
They exist with a fixed yoke for a divorced Tcase and with a mated pair configuration.

Both of the 2 I currently have came from an airfield in ohio and were owned by the airfield. They are not part of a plane tug or anything like that but rather some kind of baggage type vehicle.

I have no idea why the 205 was used, or for that matter the 700 as these seem to be very low speed operations (of course the 700 has a lower 1st than the 350, so maybe thats it?)

These were supposedly GM production vehicles but I cant find any info on them, though in the past I have seen them pop up on line for sale, usually to the ridicule of the seller.

I don't want to get in the middle of the 700r4 vs. 4l60. Both are good and can be built to handle more. The differences that I see that make them harder to work with is the electronics and shift cables. For the t-cases and size I would use the 350 and build it, drag race parts, reverse valve body, oversize cooler,.... The trannys are cheap, easy to come by, and easy to build, but it doesn't have overdrive. If you need someone to build any of these trannys I have a friend who is very good with them.
Chris

Contrary to some beliefs, the 700r4 (87 and later) and the 4L60 are nearly the same transmission. There were MINOR upgrades to the insides. Same gear ratios, same torque converters, hard and soft parts all interchange. The only difference was in the planetaries and sun shell. The only "difficult" part of working with them is setting up the TV cable. Obviously, an experienced hand can set them up with ease; however, this is a skill that is usually learned the hard way by the novice mechanic. There are no electronics involved with these transmissions, other than the TCC. It's the 4L60E that is electronically controlled. It has it's own ECM. But, the good thing about that one is that one wouldn't have to worry about setting up/adjusting the TV cable.

Contrary to some beliefs, the 700r4 (87 and later) and the 4L60 are nearly the same transmission. There were MINOR upgrades to the insides. Same gear ratios, same torque converters, hard and soft parts all interchange. The only difference was in the planetaries and sun shell. The only "difficult" part of working with them is setting up the TV cable. Obviously, an experienced hand can set them up with ease; however, this is a skill that is usually learned the hard way by the novice mechanic. There are no electronics involved with these transmissions, other than the TCC. It's the 4L60E that is electronically controlled. It has it's own ECM. But, the good thing about that one is that one wouldn't have to worry about setting up/adjusting the TV cable.

yep...and fwiw if the TV cable is that scary to folks there are a number of kits to eliminate o from both/either

Ok,I'll give you the denifit of the doubt since they make some oddball stuff for the mil and aviation ind,but I would like to see a pic of it.
I would think that Jake(croation kid) would know a little about the subject since he's done the 700/205 conv on his M-1008.He was just tryin to contribute to the thread.

Ok,I'll give you the denifit of the doubt since they make some oddball stuff for the mil and aviation ind,but I would like to see a pic of it.
I would think that Jake(croation kid) would know a little about the subject since he's done the 700/205 conv on his M-1008.He was just tryin to contribute to the thread.

FWIW I wont come here and spew crap.
Ive been wrenching and wheeling GMs for 15 years now and have rebuilt around 20 700s for myself and friends

FWIW I wont come here and spew crap.
Ive been wrenching and wheeling GMs for 15 years now and have rebuilt around 20 700s for myself and friends

I understand, and I'm not in here either trying to blow smoke up anyone's tailpipe. I've got the same experience, just the same with GM, Mopar and some Ford applications. I just have never in all my years around these trucks have seen a 205 behind a 700r4 in a factory application. Now the fact that it was in a specific application, with a fixed yoke/divorced setup, it would lead me to believe that it was a custom application requested by the owners...

Back