78' CJ-5 questions

tommy_boync

:driver: Hey guys I am I am thinking of buying a 78' cj-5 form one of my friends. My questions I have is:
Is there any particular thing to look for??
What kind of transfer case do I need???
<he said the transfer case is busted it has a straight six and a 4 speed in it>
Is motor swaps hard to do on these things???
< I havn't never messed with a jeep but messed with plenty of chevys>
Thanx everyone a head of time!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :driver:

your cj came with a dana 20 transfer case should be fairly easy to find has a non desireable low range only 2.03 to 1. it is a stout gear driven case and can be upgraded to 3.15 to 1. the four speed if it is a t-18a is a very nice transmission very sought after. motor swaps can be as involved or as easy as bolting in depending on your wallet.

thanks for the reply what transfercases will fit the cj??? Is there a better stronger on than the dana 20?? which ones has the 3.15 to 1 gear set?

i doubt he really broke a dana 20, unless it was out of fluid. The shifters for that T-case are pretty hard to move, he may have just broken the linkage. The d20 is a good case, altough not that low geared (as mentioned) Your other alternately is a dana 300, which was also installed in CJ's. The easiest thing to do is just find another 20 and bolt it right in.

this is a quote from novakconversions.com, which has alot of info on both cases:

We are often asked our opinions about the strength of the Dana 20. The reader should be aware that these were the transfer cases that were found in the Jeep J4000 one-ton truck, where they perform most admirably. A Model 20 that breaks is usually due to a worn intermediate shaft and bearings, other worn bearings, or from the shock force resulting from an unskilled driver panicking his way through a rock patch. We've yet to see a broken Dana 20 transfer case in our own service, and we find them to be a most outstanding gearbox.

Ok got some more in for ya it is a 3spd tranny I don't think I am going to be doing a motor conversoin for the time being and just going to but a dana 20 back in it. Unfortanly the dana 20 that was in it is missing. The main question I have now is when I look at this thing and make a move on it is there any troubled areas i need to observe before buying>like I read some post about frame cracks and rust seems to be an issue on most jeeps. The only concern I have about rust is were should I look for it at and I know some rust is going to be there. I just don't want to buy somthing that is not going to be replaceable after I buy it? And now I have questions regarding the 3 spd tranny> Does everyone have a major problems out of them?? Thanks a lot everyone!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

T-150 Syncros are bad to go out in them, good news is not too hard on the pocket to fix or replace. Rust, Floor pans, rockers, under fenderflares, Frame around rear spring shackles, for that matter, look the whole frame over good. Body mounts, Rollbar area on fenderwell. Look for cracks under seat mounts. Look for leaning seats. Weak springs(leaning) Motor mounts on the 6cylinders. Check wiring for butcher jobs.

if it had a t150 tranny an they pulled the transfer case without securing
the mainshaft, someone is going to have to open her up an line or time
the gears in the tranny. dana20 tranfer cases are outstanding for
mud an high wheel speeds, it just depends on what type of 4 wheeling
you want to do. Look at back of transmission an see if they left the
bearing an snap ring in place, if you can see up in the back of tranny
than it was removed an mainshaft is just flopping around.

Cj5

Tha good news is CJ's had so many options in the engine department and many people have made adapters to fit other otions. If it were me I'd switch out the three speed - I'm biased though I like 4-5 speeds. Can't tell you much about the trans but the transfer is very strong and fairly affordable. You could look into switching it out to a 4.0 later down the road. If I was looking at a jeep for the first time I'd open the hood and look at the very back close to the firewall almost where the fender bolts up at the bottom right at the frame. I'd also check the very rear where the body meets the frame on both sides. Check right at the front where the steering box mounts.

Wasn't BillaVista building the über D20 case in the PBB tech section for his rig?

for rust, well don't forget to check the rockers right around where your feet would be when sitting in the seat. There is a body support there and is one of the most popular places for rust on a CJ.

Keep the D20, but you can go to a Dana 300 if you put a T5 or a T176 trans in there. They are a little better trans IMO, and you get a nice t-case with it. Only problem is you may need to modify the driveshafts, or find a CJ5 that had that setup stock and use those shafts.

Rob

Hey guys I finally broke down and got it today. Thanks for all your help. I have some changes for the engine. It is a for 300 inline 6 with a cam and 2 pice header<aftermarket>. The tranny is a 3 spd as mentioned before. A lot of surface rust but everything on the frame is pretty solid. jeep needs a lot of TLC but I am a picky person when it comes to things I drive. Also the pervious owner already welded new floor pans a a few other plates here and there. I never thought I would like this thing but it seems to fit me fine now that I got it. I am deffently going back with the dana 20 xcase but not sure on the tranny. The tranny is in good shape and no play in it.

Hey guys thanks for everything I checked out the jeep today and decided to buy it! I never thought I would ever have a jeep. There is one change the motor in the jeep is a 300ci ford inline six. Does enyone have a sujestion on what size tire I should run. I think this jeep has a d 30 in the front and amc 20 in the rear. Not totaly sure. But if this the axles under it will 35's be to big for the axles to handle????

The AMC 20 rear isn't such a bad axle, the weak point is the two piece axle/hub combo. If you upgrade to one piece axles then you have a decent rear end. It may already have one piece's in it, check to see if you have a big nut at the end of the axle, if none then you are good to go for a while. If it has a Ford 300 6 banger, pretty good engine. But is it a Ford tranny?? or a Jeep?? IMHO 35's are too tall for a CJ-5. With the lift you need to clear them and the narrow axles you are on the top heavy side of things. I would go 33'2 myself, many will disagree. If you upgrade to full width axles and a SOA then 35's will be a good size. IT also depends on what you will use it for. Hard trailing or DD/trail.

tommy_boync said:
Hey guys thanks for everything I checked out the jeep today and decided to buy it! I never thought I would ever have a jeep. There is one change the motor in the jeep is a 300ci ford inline six. Does enyone have a sujestion on what size tire I should run. I think this jeep has a d 30 in the front and amc 20 in the rear. Not totaly sure. But if this the axles under it will 35's be to big for the axles to handle????
Most experts don't recommend tires bigger than 35s unless it has been converted to solid axles. The hub bearings wont handle that much tire and wheel. Personally, I'd change to either a Dana 44, Ford 9 inch, or 8.8 rear.

Hey guys was up today? The jeep has a 1 inch body lift and a axle flip conversoin which I know now that I need a drop stering arm<Pitt-man arm don't know if that is what you call it for jeeps> That was the only thing that wasn't done in the conversoin. I have a set of 35's bfg mud terrain pretty wide. I have a old 83 f-150 with a 5.0 c4 with a 8.8 in it for parts will that rear end bolt up to the leaf springs on the jeep and will It make it wider?? I have tought about the 33' inch tires Which may still be an option. I am look for ground clerance The jeep will be pretty much a dd/ mud / lite trail riding No Rock Crawling. No offence to enyone It just isn't my fancy. I do plan on doing a lot to the jeep I have tought about puting full widths under it but Don't know how much trouble it would be a put those in . could I keep the same leafs and go with full widths and just have the mounts moved?? Thanks again everyone!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hey thanks guys for all the help I have posted the rest of my questions in the general tech fourm

Back