86 CJ7 Carb. Problem!

KEITHRS67

I replaced the stock carb with a rebuilt motocraft 2100 carb. did everthing according to the direction that I receiced. At this time I have to hold the gas pedal to the floor for it to crank and black smoke pours from the exhaust pipe as if it is flooding. Also it does not idle very well. The jeep has a 258 with the upgraded ignition system. The timing has been set and tryed to adjust the idle with no luck. can someone provide me with any info, not sure what to do at this point. Also I have the motocraft electric choke on this card.
Keith

Hey,

it sounds like the carb is flooding. u might check the float level, that could be causing it to flood. was the power valve replace when the carb was rebuilt? i had a problem with my mc2100. it would surge at idle, and if i shut it off after running it for a while and let it sit, when i went to crank it back up, it acted like it was flooded. turned out the power valve was leaking. you can also adjust the idle mixture screws at the base of the carb. HTH

later,
bigmac

Also if trash is in there it will keep fuel pouring in. If I am not mistaken, the 2100 is one carb you can take the top off whiole it is running to see what is going on

i am not sure if the power valve was replaced or not. im going to try and remove the top as suggested and see if there maybe trash and all. Also does the power valve come in a standard kit? Not sure what all was done I bought this from a guy that only sells the 2100 and 2150 carb. for jeeps, i do know that he put #48 jets in it.

Yes, the PV should come with the kit. Trash from the change out is a possibility. New Fuel Filter installed too? If float is too high, or stuck, it will keep dumping fuel in too.

stuck choke?

after rebuild its probally got the bowl set to high, thats been me experience
with these. get the float set an you should be good to go. (as mentioned
trash in there, he is referring to the needle seat, not seeing trash in bowl
itself).

I removed the carb. and didnt really find much worng did find a couple of screws not tight at all. One on the front pump cover, and the other was the cover holding the power valve. Also spent a lot of time trying to get the choke set properly. One question when putting the coke thermostat housing on do you turn the housing ccw or cw to aline the index mark? Also how far does the choke open. i was using a 12v dc power supply on the bench to test the thing. When I thought that I had it correct the chove valve would open all the way over a period of time. When I removed the 12v the valve wouldn,t close on its on all the way. Also what size jets for the 258 would work well for mostly street driving?
Thanks Guys,
Keith :confused: :confused:

adapter

WHICH ADAPTER DID YOU USE? SOMETIMES THEY DONT SEAL TO THE MANIFOLD RIGHT,SOMETIMES CAUSING AIR TO LEAK AROUND THE GASKET TO MANIFOLD. NOT GIVING A GOOD SEAL. :driver:

Back