87 4-runner 22RE shuddering problem. Suggestions?

Tacoma747

It has been doing it for awhile now, but has gotten noticeably worse today. It will 'shudder', or stutter between about idle-1500 RPM's. Basically when it is at idle, and I go to give it gas it shudders and sputters until it gets to almost 2000 RPM's. Use whatever word you like, I think I have used them all so far though. What would make it do this? Or what would be a likely reason?

I have not replaced anything on the engine since I got it, so I have no clue when anything was replaced (Cperry do you know?). I am thinking maybe plugs, cap, and rotor button. Maybe fuel filter? I need to do an oil change while I am at it but that shouldn't be the problem.

What would be your guess?

Thanks!

the best thing would be to change the fuel filter it may have never been changed. does it studder while driving.

Check the rubber boots on the intake air tube, they crack with age, and allow air leaks after the AFM, can cause this condition.

If you haven't done anything to the engine since you got it. it's probably time to do a tune-up...and check the boot for cracks.

Matt:huggy:

i think the plugs are new, not sure on cap and rotor.

Sounds like it might be the TPS. short e1 and TE1 in the diagnosis box when the truck is running if it does not idle down it is probably TPS it will also through a code at the same time, read those and see if anything pops up. TPS codes are 41 and 51

x2 on all the above possibilities. Honestly I'm a little skeptical about the TPS, as that should just die randomly, more likely killed from water, electrical short etc.
But reading codes is Step 1 if you haven't already.
Agree w/ potential air leak issue and fuel filter. Although from what I understand teh fueld filters on these generally last a very long time.
Unlikely to be a plug/cap/rotor problem.

Back