'89 4runner...questions!

Macdaddy4738

Im going to check one out tomorrow. Its an 89, rebuilt motor (the add says 70k miles but im sure thats on the rebuilt motor, not the entire vehicle.) New parts everywhere (alternator is the only one I remember, Iwanna.com isnt working right now :mad: )

anyways, are there any specific problems that I should look for on this Runner. The guy says its definatly a DD. I know there was a recall on them for that year, but Im sure with a rebuilt motor that problem has been taken care of.

Its also only a 4cyl. Should I avoid this model or not?

I don't know of any recalls spceific to '89 w/ the 3 cyl. If there is one, please enlighten me.
This is the last year of the 1st gen body (removable top) - in that respect it's a good one to look for (newest possible w/ this style). Like all the other Toy trucks, they tend to rust behind the rear wheels at the bottom of the fenders, so look into that; also the rear leaves tend to get saggy.

2k is a decent deal on it, esp in good shape. 22r sometimes has problems w/ the guides for the timing chain, but at only 70k that shouldn't be an issue yet.

RatLabGuy said:
I don't know of any recalls spceific to '89 w/ the 3 cyl. If there is one, please enlighten me.
This is the last year of the 1st gen body (removable top) - in that respect it's a good one to look for (newest possible w/ this style). Like all the other Toy trucks, they tend to rust behind the rear wheels at the bottom of the fenders, so look into that; also the rear leaves tend to get saggy.
2k is a decent deal on it, esp in good shape. 22r sometimes has problems w/ the guides for the timing chain, but at only 70k that shouldn't be an issue yet.

That was actually what the Recall was for, a Timing Chain Issue. While it wasnt 89 Specific, the 89 was included in the recall...

I guess there was another one too, something about a fatigue crack in the steering rod relay that could develop if put into extreme turning situations (turning all the way to one side while stopped for example)

I'll be sure to snap sone pics.

RatLabGuy said:

Macdaddy4738 said:
That was actually what the blah blah blah me not disagreeing with you and saying it's a 4 cyl

chuckwhut said:
if it's a 3cyl then buy it, it's really rare :flipoff2: :flipoff2: :flipoff2:

Macdaddy4738 said:
The ad says its a 4cyl and i am oblivious to all comments that may possibly be jokes, my brain doesn't work that way

:flipoff2:

Not really a DD, a bunch of body rust towards the rear end...looks like it may leak a bit too...

BUT It runs very strong, clutch is good, shifts great. Anyone looking for a good trail 4runner for 2000 bucks should PM me, I can give them instructions/phone number..

FOUND another one. this is an 88 V6 SR5 for 3700. 132k on the odometer. Didnt get to drive it, he wasnt around but the interior looks really nice. Its also an automatic..

The ad says it comes with a bunch of new parts too...we'll see how that goes :D

v6 4runners

Take it from someone who wasted a lot of money on one, steer clear of the 3.0 V6. I had an 89 SR5 that had one, would have been a great truck with a different motor in it. No power, and constant problems keeping it running without knocking. From what I hear, lots of problems with head gaskets on those too, luckily that was one of the few things that didnt go wrong on mine...

I'm sure there are some 3.0's that ran forever...to whoever had them, congrats....mine surely did not!

Back