90 4.0L misses

TheZenTree

I was out driving my XJ a few minutes ago, and I noticed that it's missing really badly between 1950-2300rpm. If it's above or below that range, it runs like a top, but for some reason, it feels like it's missing every other cylinder when it's there. Anyone got any sorta idea of what's goin on here?

TheZenTree said:
I was out driving my XJ a few minutes ago, and I noticed that it's missing really badly between 1950-2300rpm. If it's above or below that range, it runs like a top, but for some reason, it feels like it's missing every other cylinder when it's there. Anyone got any sorta idea of what's goin on here?

Is it missing or not getting enough fuel?

I'm not sure. I'd imagine that it's missing since it's only doing it at those rpms, but I guess it could be a fuel problem.

maybe you should sell it and get a K5, lol jk john. i dont know what to tell you but my thunderbird did that at a certain rpm just like you were describing. mine was a coil pack. do you have a check engine light?

It's not on, but that doesn't mean it's not "on." I'm gonna try new ignition junk and replace the fuel filter and see where that gets me. I guess I didn't think to try that because it really only does it at certain RPMs, but hey, I'm a n00b.

My mother bought a brand new E150 van w/ 5.4L and she had not had it long when it started sputtering around high rpm's. It would get up to a certian speed and would not go anyfaster, lagging power. With a few runs to the dealership we found it was the fuel pump that crapped out. Luckily it was under warranty.

How many miles? Has it ever had a cap, rotor, plugs and wires? I had a '99 Cherokee Sport for a work vehicle that started missing at the same rpms. I took it in (work vehicle, remember) and they did a full tune up. I put another 60,000 miles on it afterwards and had no problems.
Couldn't hurt to do a tune up?!

No idea how many miles. I've only owned it for a few months and have put maybe 5 hours on it, but this weekend when I go home it'll get cap/rotor/wires/plugs and we'll see how that works.

Back