94 chevy 6.5 diesel

Trailmaster C

I am lookn at a 94 chevy dually with the 6.5 anyone have any thing I need to ask or know about this engine!
Thanks,
Bradley C

thedieselstop.com is a web sight devoted to chevy diesel, pretty good sight.

I have one and have worked on alot of them from stock to performance and I have a factory scan tool, so w/ that if you do get it i can help you out.

there weaknesses.........

the PMD-electronic devices that drives the Injection pump, if not relocated to the front bumper, you will have to do that not if but when. they overheat and burn themseves up thats about $500 kit.

Injectors need to replaced every 100k on these, they will leak and they will blow a hole in the piston usually #8. yes some people have 200k on there originals but they are a time bomb waiting to go off. good news is these injectors are only about $80 a piece.

they had some cooling issues, a dmax fan and a clean radiator will usually take care of this most people that have problems have a massive amount of leaves and dirt built up on the radiator, rad needs to be removed form vehicle and thourghly cleaned, there some other mods for cooling dual t-stats, HO water pump, yours probably has an HO pump on it already, i think dual t-stats are a waste but to each his own. an intercooler also reduces engine temps.

the vacuum pump is completely useless all it does is control the wastegate(usually very poorly), a maual wastegate controller can be purchased for $100 or so, vac pump can be thrown in garbage, and a shorter belt used.

if this has been modded at all and the owner says they have done an optic bump, plan on putting a pump on it, if they have had a pump put on it plan on putting another one on, chances are the pump was crap, and the timing is off, even the dealer sets timing by the static mark and then drive it, if the check engine light does not come on they call it good, timing can and will be way off using that method.

besides that, no matter what anyone says, these are solid, reliable, detroit diesels, that get good fuel mileage and last a long time if taken care off.

Back