96' XJ that wont start

WHTTRASH

Joined the Band
Banned
ok, my buddy brad is working on getting my wrecked 96' XJ (inline-6, ax-15) fixed but he cant get it started. he drove the XJ into the bay to remove the bashed frontend (fenders, bumper, lights, grill and hood) and to test fit all of the new body parts back up before paint, well the jeep would not start after doing all of this. he has tested it out and is finding out that the coil is not getting any fire (the motor turns over but wont start).....he swaped in a new 'puter and still nothing happened (he said it could be have been a bad 'puter also)

help a brother out:beer:

WHTTRASH said:
ok, my buddy brad is working on getting my wrecked 96' XJ (inline-6, ax-15) fixed but he cant get it started. he drove the XJ into the bay to remove the bashed frontend (fenders, bumper, lights, grill and hood) and to test fit all of the new body parts back up before paint, well the jeep would not start after doing all of this. he has tested it out and is finding out that the coil is not getting any fire (the motor turns over but wont start).....he swaped in a new 'puter and still nothing happened (he said it could be have been a bad 'puter also)

help a brother out:beer:

Find the ASD relay, see if it stays engergised on crank past 1~3 seconds. If it fall out after a few seconds, crank sensor. ECU sees crank sensor signal (CKP) and sends ground signal to the ASD relay coil which provides power to the coil, fuel pump relay and a few other things. (ASD = auto shut down relay)

Check the Crank Position Sensor. Mine occasionally flips out and the engine will turn over, but not fire. Unplugging the connector and reconnecting it resets it some how and she fires right up. The CPS is on the bellhousing on the drivers side. Look for 2 wires coming up from that area. The CPS is a PIA to get to, which is why I havn't changed mine out!

Gary

Back