a little diff reading

orange150

so my carrier for my 14bolt should be here this week or next and i am going to want to put it all together asap. BUT, i have never geared an axle before. Sooo thanks to Shawn saying how easy it is and what not ( :flipoff2: ) i am going to try it.
onto the question: will the new gears come with directions? or how should i go about finding out how to do this? i dont want to just wing it... ya know.

orange150 said:
so my carrier for my 14bolt should be here this week or next and i am going to want to put it all together asap. BUT, i have never geared an axle before. Sooo thanks to Shawn saying how easy it is and what not ( :flipoff2: ) i am going to try it.
onto the question: will the new gears come with directions? or how should i go about finding out how to do this? i dont want to just wing it... ya know.
honestly your best bet is to find someone to help thats done it. ask ivan or nick. to do it right anyone can do it, but once someone shows you or works with you it will be alot easier. i would discourage you from doing it with no other experence.

it's easy to get everything put together... it's the shimming and getting the right pattern, backlash, etc. that can be tedious. 14bolts are pretty easy though. get it set up and i'll swing by one day and take a look at it if you want.

You're regearing it at the same time, right? I mean, it's not just a carrier replacement.

Did I ever show you my 3/4" breaker bar? It takes a LOT of force to set that pinion, and I have the banana'd breaker bar to prove it.

The hardest part IMHO about getting the 14b set up is crushing the sleeve and getting the preload right the first time. I would recommend having several crush sleeves on hand, although you can get it right if you're very careful. Setting used bearings is easy -- you only have to get a couple of in-lb, which basically just means zero endplay. From there, you can *breathe* on the nut and get it to jump out well beyond the new bearing specs.

Once that's done, there's no better diff for learning how to set one up.

Let me know if you need anything. I have a yoke holder (TTB radius arm) and a bunch of other stuff that you might need (banana'd 3/4" breaker bar ;) )

cool, i'll get it all set up, then probably either get you or Ivan to come help with the clearances. will a 1/2" impact not set the pinion? what about a 3/4" impact?

orange150 said:
will a 1/2" impact not set the pinion?

Baaaahahahha.... fawk no.

3/4" might do it. It depends on the gun, size of the hoses, quality of the socket, etc.

I would not plan to use an impact to set the pinion preload, the last little bit to go from not enough to just enough is usually about 1/4" of movement of the nut. I made a holder that slipes into the reciever hitch on my truck, and eneded up buying a 3/4" braker bar just to do this...

Yes i agree, the 14b is easy to learn on due to its simple shimming and threaded adjusters...

yeah, i'll 3rd not to use an impact. just get a 3/4" breaker. there should be some scraps of pipe in/around my shed at the house you can grab if you need more leverage.

Back