Advice and AX15 value with Ford adapter stuff?

Jeffncs

Good afternoon!

I’m wondering about swapping my AX15 out of my 70 early bronco in favor of an AOD or C4. With the goal of staying cost neutral or favorable, would you:

A. Rock the AX15 and regear to use that o/d?

B. Sell and buy an old school C4?

C. Find an AOD and regear to take advantage of the o/d?

Bronco will have a healthy but not crazy 302 or 351w. It will see mild to challenging trails, splash through mud and also run around town. Planning at least 33s but possibly 35s.

I don’t mind shifting but I also enjoy finding “D” and pressing the skinny pedal.

Edit to add - if I sell the AX15, ford 302/351w bell adapter, D20 adapter and cross member, what should I ask? I have no history on the trans but was told it’s dang close to new.

Just sold a Jeep AX15 external slave complete from flywheel to output, even had all the hardware with it for $400. Feel like that was a fair price to a fellow enthusiast. Could put it in FB and try to get $750.

I would think the AX15 would be fine behind a small block so it comes down to your preference. Id look for a C6 instead of a C4, but don't know much about Ford's and bellhousing adaptation to their small blocks.

Either way coming in cost neutral is not likely unless you just swap parts out, but I would have a hard time not rebuilding a used auto trans before putting it in. Then there's all the linkage stuff you'll need to source, new mounts, and whatnots that add up.

I've only been able to come out cost neutral or ahead if I bought a donor rig and stripped all the stuff I needed off it and then parted the rest. Takes much more time, but usually ended up making a few dollars. Neighbors and wife generally didn't appreciate an extra vehicle carcass laying around though... but it's the best way to get everything you need. All those pesky kick down linkage brackets, column shifter pieces and such will already be on the donor. Otherwise your dropping $350 for a lokar kit and more on a floor shifter and so on....

If you’re going auto, I second the C6. I had a C4 behind a well built 302 and I shredded it with not much abuse. Not saying it’s typical, but given the choice I’d go C6. My dads 428/C6 combo has held up perfect.

I sure you could trade it pretty easy with a bronco guy that was looking for an auto setup. These trades happen pretty often pedals all the way to trans.

Also if your wanting go go auto its hard to not go with the 4r70 out of the explore or a 6r80 if your really want to go all out.

I sure you could trade it pretty easy with a bronco guy that was looking for an auto setup. These trades happen pretty often pedals all the way to trans.

Also if your wanting go go auto its hard to not go with the 4r70 out of the explore or a 6r80 if your really want to go all out.

Thanks for jumping in…and also appreciate the others input as well. Posted this same question over at classicbroncos.com and a guy out in TN offered to swap his complete C4 setup for my AX15 setup. We’re working on a weekend meetup. Hoping I’m out in Asheville mountain biking this fall and that he can make the drive over to swap parts.

Aren't C6 trans quite a bit longer then the C4? I cannot imagine the rear drive line being very happy. I know it's twice seems twice as heavy.

What are your T-Case choices?

Mild use and simplicity in the auto a well rounded C4 is hard to beat. The latter electric actuated autos offer better gearing range but more complex installs.

As for manuals I have a NV3500 behind a 302. The original owner didn't execute the mount to my liking but the range of gear and drivability is awesome. It isn't a hardcore wheeler. It has a Dana 300 behind it. The over all package is very stock length in a YJ. This should translate well to a Bronco.

I have zero AX15 experience.

C6 are very, very durable comapred to a C4. I've been running the same one in my truck for nearly 10 years and couldn't be happier with it. Yes, they are heavy and use up a decent amount of power. But it's a fair trade in my opinion for the strength you get.
If driveline length is a consideration, I don't see how you'll package an OD auto in there.

When you come up to the mountains for biking, holler at me. I'll show you around the good stuff!

C6 are very, very durable comapred to a C4. I've been running the same one in my truck for nearly 10 years and couldn't be happier with it. Yes, they are heavy and use up a decent amount of power. But it's a fair trade in my opinion for the strength you get.
If driveline length is a consideration, I don't see how you'll package an OD auto in there.

When you come up to the mountains for biking, holler at me. I'll show you around the good stuff!
Do you know the length difference?

Edit...... everything I just read is around 3 to 4 inches.
Not as much as I assumed by looking at them. Also the internals are very similar with the C6 just being more robust.

Last edited:
Back