Advice for trailer rehab needed

diver552

I will be picking up a family business trailer that needs rehabbed. 18ft 14k equipment trailer.
It is rusty (Midwest trailer), but not overly so.

What do I need to consider to clean it up and paint? Anyone that has gone through the process want to chime in? Anyone near SE NC/NE SC reasonable for media blasting? I assume tractor paint would likely be the best bet for paint.

Anything else other than wiring, brakes, deck boards, tires and greasing bearing and such I might have missed.

Thank you all

I would check the coupler good, and I'd check for busted welds, which will be easy if you're pulling all the deck boards off. Also a good time to change or add anything like spare tire holder/winch plate/tool box etc.

Duane

Put it up on stands.
Remove wheels and inspect brakes
Remove old decking
Wire wheel / sand blast
Rust preventing primer
Rustoleum color of your choosing
LED lights
Rewire it
New tires
Source rough sawn white oak
ATF on new deck boards (tops, sides, bottom x3)

The rustoleum universal paint and primer in one is some of the best/toughest spray paint I've ever used. It's the cans with the triggers on them. 5 or 6 bucks a can, but it lasts!

The rustoleum universal paint and primer in one is some of the best/toughest spray paint I've ever used. It's the cans with the triggers on them. 5 or 6 bucks a can, but it lasts!
Totally agree! Glad you p[posted this so I didn't have to.

You may want to run some conduit for your wiring. Will help keep wires up out of the way and keep dogs, or what ever from chewing on your wiring. Seems most trailer makers fall short of the mark when it comes to wiring. Also, I don't think it was mentioned, check all of your spring bushings, if they need replaced, I'd for sure try and replace them with Poly type bushings. That way you can grease them with no worry of the greats eating the bushings. Also, as cheap as they are, and, it sounds as if you are trying to do all you can, I'd replace the brake backing plates. They come with all new brakes and cylinders. Have drums turned if needed, and or, the magnetic part on the inside of the drum face resurfaced, If the aren't too bad. If they are in bad shape, I know of one place that seems to have it all in one place kinda store, is Redneck Trailer supply in Lincolnton. Also you had mentioned getting it sand blasted. If you go that route, Make sure they seal off the hubs/drums as sand will get anywhere you wouldn't think it could. If you go the brush road, get you a descaler from Harbor Freight. If you have access to air. As was also mentioned, before laying down new decking, make sure to put in place anything you want for your trailer such as a winch, storage boxes, spare tire holder and so on. If you are lucky enough to source some white Oak boards, that would be great, but, if you go the treated board route, wait till summer before you treat it, so you can get it really dried out. I don't care where you buy it, it won't be dried enough. I saw where ATF was mentioned to treat the boards, I have never used it, but kinda the same route, I have used used motor oil thinned out with some diesel fuel or Kerosene. just paint it on and let it soak in, and repeat as many times as it will soak in, then wipe off the excess. Also, add as many tie down points as you think you'll need. And once you get it all nice a pretty from painted, some some reflective tape on the sides. Some places seem to think they are made of gold, but, the Harbor Freight reflectors seem to work just fine and are gonna break the bank.

Inspect bearings, Shackle hangers and bolts. These get over looked a lot. Look for stress cracks on all the suspension attachment points.

Buddy of mine does dustless blasting. He can come to you or you to him, you bringing the work to him is obviously cheaper. He's in Wilson so not sure if it's worth the drive from Shallotte. I'm not sure what he cost, I've never paid for anything 😂. If you'd like his info shoot me a pm.

Buddy of mine does dustless blasting. He can come to you or you to him, you bringing the work to him is obviously cheaper. He's in Wilson so not sure if it's worth the drive from Shallotte. I'm not sure what he cost, I've never paid for anything 😂. If you'd like his info shoot me a pm.
I may get back up with you for this info, I’m not getting the trailer to spring. Right now I’m just trying to figure out my game plan for it. Thank you.

Couple buddies with grinders, flap disc, and wire wheel and you can knock out the prep in 1 day.

We did a 24' husdon 10ton this way.

Before
2635.jpeg

After
1214201621_HDR.jpg

As for paint I used Sherwin Williams industrial enamel. I grabbed it off the line while we were filling a batch of semi gloss black in gallons, so the price was right. I would have used paint from tractor supply if I didn't work in a paint factory.

I rolled it on with foam rollers and thinned it and sprayed through a harbor freight hvlp on the dovetail and suspension areas where a roller wasn't ideal.

Back