Air tank question??

rbo1577186

What is the difference between a 10lb Power Tank that runs around $400+ and a 10 gallon air tank that runs around $50? Thank you in advance

rbo

10lbs power tank is designed to hold a lot more inside PSI than the air tank. The Power tank will hold liquid CO2, the air tank holds just air, in gas form.

to elaborate...

the Powertank will hold over 2000 pounds of air (psi) similar to an oxygen cylinder for your cutting torch or a SCUBA tank

the 10 gallon air tank will only hold about 150 pounds of air (psi). This siginifically less volume than the Powertank.

The Power tank can be used to operate power tools without a compressor because it houses so much volume of air (compressed into the small tank). The 10 gallon air tank requires an air compressor to re-fill it during use. There is just not enough volume inside the low psi air tank to operate an air impact for more than 15 seconds without support from a compressor.

Rob - go to bed..you're delirous.. :D

A powertank holds liquid CO2, under pressure (depends on temperature, typically ~800psi (IIRC) at room temp). As you draw the gas off the bottle, the liquid remaining expands into gas. This expansion gives you the capacity..

That's why you use a co2 tank when it's vertical, as not to draw liquid co2 into the regulator...

Hey your both right !!!!

How do you think the CO2 gets to liquid state ? If you compress it enough it reverts back to liquid. This also explains your theory of the how its used, the liquid expands back to a gas as its used. Which is why you need a nice safe regulator on the tank..

Cool, but I'm a poor white cracker..... I should be OK with a 10 or 5 gal tank for the purpose of putting air back in my tires, (33's) right?? Thanks for your replies you guys are a world of good info.

rbo1577186 said:
Cool, but I'm a poor white cracker..... I should be OK with a 10 or 5 gal tank for the purpose of putting air back in my tires, (33's) right?? Thanks for your replies you guys are a world of good info.

not really if you're trying to get back up to street pressures.

OTOH, you can build an entire co2 setup for ~$100.

Rich,

CO2 setup?? OK I have a kegerator.. I paid around $60 for a 5lb brushed aluminum tank, and I forgot what the regulator cost, is this what you're getting at?? If not please enlighten me......

rbo1577186,
I am with you on this. I too have a kegarator that has a 10gal tank that I am no longer using. Is it worth setting this up to fill up the tires etc.. in my Jeep?

Yep, that's what I did. $130

aimg.photobucket.com_albums_v214_nhodierne_co2.jpg

rbo1577186 said:
Rich,

CO2 setup?? OK I have a kegerator.. I paid around $60 for a 5lb brushed aluminum tank, and I forgot what the regulator cost, is this what you're getting at?? If not please enlighten me......

Yup, that's exactly what I'm talking about, though you need a different regulator than what's used for a keg..

P.S. I've got a 10lb tank with bracket I'll gladly trade for a 5lb'er with bracket.

No thanks Rich,

I still use my Kegerator and a 10lb might be too tall to fit in my chest freezer. Thanks for the Idea. I'll look at the Powertank regulators and see what I can come up with.

I got my aluminum 10lb for around $80.

Back