Allison 1000 fluid change/service

Rich

Asshole at large
Before I go, I'm going to do a fluid and filter change in the Chevy...

So the book says the total capacity is around 13.5 quarts, but a "change" is only 7.7.

I'm not too keen on just changing half the fluid... so what would you do?

I'm thinking drain, fill, run for a little bit, drain and fill again, then change the filter. (It's a spin-on for those unfamiliar with the Allison)

Very leery about these "fluid flush" services being hawked... not to mention how much they charge!

It's a '01 2500HD 8.1/Allison

just spend the $$$ and flush it. by the time you change it, run it, change it, etc., you'll have more time and $$$ in it than if you would have just flushed it. However, take it to a mechanic you trust because someone can really screw you for the flush and only change the fluid and filter.

I did it on my F250 and, with Amsoil, cost just over $250 including the fluid, filter, and labor.

DO NOT use a flush on the Allison

and there is no real need to drop the pan to change that filter either. ( Allison doens't recommend it, and unless you are converting to the deep sump and filter, there really is no gain) Deep sump and filter came on the 4500-5500 series trucks, allows for a few more quarts of fluid, but obviously takes away some ground clearance.

IF the fluid isn't burnt changing what is in the pan ( pulling the plug) and spin on filter is adequate.

The spin on filter should have a round donut shaped magnet sitting on top of it when you pull it down, take the magnet off, and clean it, reinstall it on the new filter.

Allison Transynd ATF is what you want to use and is recommended by Allison ( of course) though Dexron will work fine in a pinch.

THe spin on filter does the majority of the filtering, the in pan is secondary.

check your cooler line tubes where they enter and exit the trans bosses, push in and out, there should be little movement, the larger trucks had issues with spitting out the cooler tubes due to pressure and wear on the retension lands that the clips grip also check to see if there is an aux cooler infront of the rad, and that there is no leakage there. ( some do, some don't )

why not flush it your self ? I did the van 2 weeks ago and put in Dex6.

Change filter.
Fill tranny with fluid. Overfill by 2-3 qts.
Unhook return line from cooler.
Hook up hose to cooler line.
Run engine for 30 sec. or until bubbles comeout then stop.
Refill fluid,
run engine 30sec...... repeat until fluid runs out clear.
reconnect line and top off as needed.
I did the full flush with 4 gallons.

If you just run it, your mixing the TC fluid with the new/clean fluid and not getting a true

It took me <1hr start to finish (and I had to drop the pan to change the filter)...

why not flush it your self ? I did the van 2 weeks ago and put in Dex6.

Change filter.
Fill tranny with fluid. Overfill by 2-3 qts.
Unhook return line from cooler.
Hook up hose to cooler line.
Run engine for 30 sec. or until bubbles comeout then stop.
Refill fluid,
run engine 30sec...... repeat until fluid runs out clear.
reconnect line and top off as needed.
I did the full flush with 4 gallons.

If you just run it, your mixing the TC fluid with the new/clean fluid and not getting a true

It took me <1hr start to finish (and I had to drop the pan to change the filter)...

Keep in mind, the cooler lines for the Allison are about twice the size of the lines for a 4L80e, and the fluid movement is considerably more, the Allison moves some serious fluid.

Keep in mind, the cooler lines for the Allison are about twice the size of the lines for a 4L80e, and the fluid movement is considerably more, the Allison moves some serious fluid.

Greeeeat.. I'm gonna make such a f'n mess.. :lol:

I personally am just going to change filter and fluid in the pan every 30,000 miles. this should be Twice the reccomended interval. Automatics of today are a lot tougher and much more durable than days of the past. If they would have wanted you to get as much fluid out as possible when chaging the filter and doing a service they would not have put a convient drain plug on the bottom of the pan;)
Todd

I've heard numerous people say they've had trans problems after a flush.

If you're that worried about it, "flush" it yourself using the cooler lines.

An allison flush is fine as long as you dont use a "flush chemical" and as long as your using a cooler attachment, Not through the dipstick.

If you feel like you need to do a filter change I've got the internal filters in stock , You can have all you want of them for $10.00 for the regular pan, GM part. Secondly, Rarely would you need to ever change anything but your spin on. Unless we're pulling the tranny or changing pans & valve bodies do we ever do a fluid change on a stock truck.

PS Gm's Dex 6 is Allison Transynd ATF

PS , I usually have the aftermarket seatrab coolers in stock if you need one!

I change the spin on filter and drain the pan every 30,000. I pull alot of stuff and my fluid is (and stays) perfectly clean. If the fluid isn't dark already I think pulling the pan and replacing the filter is a waste of time. I worked @ the dealer for years and we never pulled a pan to svc. the filter. Just make sure you get the magnet off the old filter.

Back