Aluminum wheel repair?

Lurch830

messin' with sasquatch
Bought a 'set' of wheels & tires for my DD. Came with 5 wheels & 3 tires.
One of the wheels is cracked on the inner lip and flattened on the outer lip...it will be scrapped. Another has a crack on the inner lip...I want to repair it if possible. The other three are fine besides typical wear & tear.

My question is does anybody know of a shop/person that will weld the lip up to hold air and then turn the wheel to get it balanced/make sure its round?
Preferably in the Concord/Harrisburg/University area, but I'd be willing to drive an hour for a quality job.

I've welded quite a few aluminum wheels. How bad Is it bent. Got a pic? I should be able to take care of it
Chris, can you turn it to the get the lip back to its shape after welding and get the wheel balanced? If so, or if you know someone, I can drop off the wheel when I take the bent one to Foils for scrap.

I can get it welded, I want somebody that can repair and re-balance it (if possible). My boss actually has held every welding certification there is and a co-worker trains welders for nuclear power plants. I'm thinking of something along the lines of turning a rotor but bigger to get the lip true and the wheel balanced.

2012-09-06_18-39-08_544.jpg 2012-09-06_18-39-52_729.jpg

Last edited:
No I only have access to a 14" lathe so I wouldn't be able to turn it. As long as it isn't bent I'd just weld it up and sand it smooth and level with the surrounding material. I wouldn't expect balancing to be enough of an issue to worry about.
If you have someone who can weld it. Let them do it and take the wheel to a tire shop. They'll be able to spin it up and tell you how much if any its off.

Sent from the MarsFab Off Road mobile response unit.

Last edited:
I would use this guy. ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Nuff said.

Call punchys in concord. They have a company they use for wheel repair. I would also suggest Chris, but if your worried about it being like new again, and being trued and balanced, they can get it done. Dont know what kind of wheel it is, but if its an aftermarket wheel, its probably cheaper to just buy another wheel. A true wheel repair where they true and balance will run you between 100 - 125. Most aftermarket wheels can be bought for close to that.

Back