AMC V8 Intake Ports

orange150

Can someone tell me what these two ports are for? Think I found that the threaded one is for coolant to the heater core. But the one with no threads or surrounding bolt holes has me stumped. There’s a blind hole at the front, behind the thermostat housing. Not sure what that’s for either, but it’s at least blind so I’m not too worried about it.

IMG_1759.jpeg

IMG_1758.jpeg

My 78 304 has the heater core supply/return and the PCV valve at the back side of the passenger side of the motor.

Ok. Thanks guys. The PCV thing was confusing me since it uses such a large grommet. Still need to figure out what that threaded hole is behind the thermostat housing, but it's less important than an open hole :D

Oh, since you went the high-zoots port injection route... research fixed orifice PCV vs. OG "poppet style" PCV.

The irregular/willy-nilly action of the poppet style is reported to seriously fawk with the IAC (YMMV)?
I went straight to fixed orifice in hopes of bypassing known issues... results TBD 🙄

Oh, since you went the high-zoots port injection route... research fixed orifice PCV vs. OG "poppet style" PCV.

The irregular/willy-nilly action of the poppet style is reported to seriously fawk with the IAC (YMMV)?
I went straight to fixed orifice in hopes of bypassing known issues... results TBD 🙄
oh great. Something else for me to hem and haw over :laughing:

The threaded hole behind the tstat housing is for the ignition coil bracket.

Here's the best I can tell you, from my 78 360 factory manifold. My 79 304 was near identical. The first picture is the rear, & the silver plate is the EGR, that I blocked off. Many of the stock things, you don't have. Big rubber hose from carb, goes down to the PVC valve. Next rear port is heater hose. Gold colored bolt & washer is plugging a vacuum port. Rear center top manifold is another vacuum port.
Second pic is front, center to right side. The front adapter unit is a manual water temp gauge. Next row back, gold bolt was probably the A/C Mount. I just plugged everything for cosmetics. Back across to the center, square gold plug, is a vacuum port.
The larger blue bolt between the vac port & therm housing is just plugged. It or the other one may have been used as a sensor for the emissions that came factory. If you remember or see pictures, they had vacuum houses, sensors, & tubes from the headers, like Spaghetti! If it's tapped all the way through, it would be in the water section.
Third picture is the driver side. I just showed this for the green wire/blue connector-clip-on, which is another water port. That's my electric water temp gauge. Most of the factory set-ups used this port.

Attachments

• 20240809_012553.jpg
    20240809_012553.jpg
    130.3 KB · Views: 7
  • 20240809_012452.jpg
    20240809_012452.jpg
    146.1 KB · Views: 7
  • 20240809_012416.jpg
    20240809_012416.jpg
    98.5 KB · Views: 9
Back