Another can of worms.... iOS vs. Android

ManglerYJ

So my contract renewal is up on my Verizon iPhone 4 (not the Siri version - the one with a processor that is made of wood and came over on the Ark). Since my current 8 Gig iPhone is not enough storage space for my apps and pictures and stuff, I'm typically having to purge stuff if I want to add anything - which pretty much sucks.

I am a cheapskate. I absolutely, categorically, unequivocally and undeniably will NOT pay for a new phone. Period. It's bad enough that I have to pay a $30 upgrade fee whenever I change phones which chaps my @$$. So, that being said, I'm looking at the free smart phone options from Verizon and there's a bunch of Android options, but only one iPhone option that's free. The iPhone 5c is free, but it's only an 8 gig phone, so that's not really worth upgrading since I'd still have the space problem.

The two main Android phones that have caught my eye are the LG G3 and the Droid Maxx. I like the fact that the G3 starts with 32 gigs of space and has a SD card slot if I need more, but I love the battery life claims that the Droid Maxx has. I haven't seen anywhere about the storage capacity of the Maxx.

Anyone with some first hand knowledge of either phone?

No matter which phone I choose, it will get a sturdy case like an Otterbox or a Lifeproof so durability of the phone isn't a problem. My iPhone 4 has lived in an Otterbox Defender it's entire life.

Seriously been happy with my HTC One, I know thats not on your list but maybe another option for you. The M7 (on the free list) is the same as the M8 just smaller. Mine has 32GB internal memory but no external sd port. 32GB is alot of storage though. And my battery seems to last forever. I use my phone pretty heavily for games, pics, web. Plus, in it's Otterbox, it's still thin enough to just drop in my pocket. Without the box I'd probably forget it was there.....

I have a droid maxx and love it.

Came from an Iphone but wont go back.

Samsung galaxy 5, I love mine. 16mp cam, super fast processor. And waterproof!

Imo the iPhone is a thing for the past. They never had and probably never will have the external memory option. That said a lot of the free phones on the market are very well equipped and the android system is hands down better than anything apple will ever offer and it just keeps getting better. I have always been a Samsung fan but unfortunately you almost always have to pay for their phones but the current on I have (note 4) has 32gig internal memory and 128gig expandability. If you use your phone for work as much as I do the features out way the price albeit a high price. But in the end if you switch to android you will never go back to apple, I speak from experience used to love the iphone.

Droid Turbo currently and I love it. Wouldn't even concider owning an iPhone.

I'll add to that my mom is a retired senior service rep at Verizon. Over the years she's brought home hundreds of demo and promo phones to sit down and figure out (as in her job title). She would always pass me over a brand new phone for piddly squat money so I've had countless phones over the years.

I've got an LG G2. I went into the store planning to get the Droid Maxx, but walked out with the LG. The G3 wasn't available at the time. I've been extremely happy with the G2. Battery life is absolutely fantastic. I've only killed it twice in the 6 months I've had it, and both times it was after 10pm before it died. I typically have everything on (Bluetooth,WiFi,GPS,data,sync) and will have 40-70% left when I go to bed. Not sure why the variation, I guess it's just me. If I turn most of the services off, it lasts even better.

Overall it runs very smoothly with no lag or funny stuff. I used to get out my laptop every evening to browse the internet, but now I only use my phone unless I absolutely need the bigger screen or some laptop based program. The touchscreen works very well and it has been pretty durable, though I'm not too rough on it.

I have an iPhone 5C for work, and it's a fine phone too, but the G2 is smoother and easier to use and you just can't beat the big ole screen. The iPhone is very sleek (I have no case on it) which is really nice, but sometimes I forget it's in my pocket.

Battery life is pretty important to me, oddly enough. I am a stay-at-home dad, so I'm just about always around a Wi-Fi source, but when I'm sitting at the girls' cheerleading practice, I can kill a freshly charged iPhone4 battery just listening to Pandora, playing Candy Crush and flipping through news services. Sometimes, if I forget to charge my phone beforehand , I just have to turn on Pandora and not engage anything on the screen because the battery won't last through the practice on anything less than 70% charge. (practices are usually 2 hours long or so)

I have most all services shut off (location, background services, Bluetooth, Snaggletooth, etc.) and I even have the backlight turned to about 70% and it still goes pretty quick if I'm surfing.

I have had iPhone but recently changed back to an android. I got the droid maxx due to expense and absolutely stand by it. Outstanding battery life. I've got it in an otter box too.

I am about to change jobs and turn in my company phone which means I will be getting my own phone again. I was dead set on iPhone, but starting to see its really behind. I also like to listen to this preacher named JD Greear as much as possible. With the Android system I can download his sermons in 2 minutes on WiFi and listen to them later without burning up data and battery life. The iPhone is not capable of this, it only streams it. Pretty much a deal breaker for me.
Glad this thread came up cause I know nothing about the latest phones these days.

A few things I always look for in a phone is picture quality and battery life. My Droid turbo battery last about 3 days if I don't watch more than 4 hrs of video. And I don't do bookface either. The camera on it is 21 mp and takes amazing photos and videos. The speaker is quite loud actually. I take tons of detailed photos at work and send yo my boss which he uses on official reports.

How I pick a phone...

Is it a phone? Yes
Will it let me surf the internet? Yes

Phone bought. If it weren't for work, I still don't think I'd have a cell phone. They pay for it, so I have one.

Another vote for Galaxy S5. Mine was free for going on the Edge program and 10GB+ plan (family shared plan).

I was under the impression that the Verizon Edge program was basically a financing deal for the phones - they break down the retail price of the phone into a monthly payment and add it to your bill.

Side note, we are just below the cusp of where it's worth going to the Share everything plan. We have 4 smart phones and one "dumb" phone on our plan. The dumb phone is my wife's best friend's phone and she has no interest whatsoever in a smart phone. The G3 deal that they are currently offering may push us into the shared plan, however since they are giving a free G Tab tablet with a G3 smart phone. I wouldn't mind having a tablet, but I'm not willing to pay anything extra for more "data". We've had smart phones on our plan for years now and each has a 2 gig data limit. We have only once gone over 50% data use and that was due to taking a trip to Michigan and streaming music the whole trip. We were trying to see if we could ever get to the 90% data use mark and never did.

When we got new phones a few months ago, the CSR sold us hard on the Verizon "Share Everything" plan. Kept saying it would save us "X" dollars ($10 or $20?) a month. We have two phones with data plans, each with their own 2GB data caps. The CSR was comparing the plan we have now, out the door, after all taxes and fees, against a 2GB shared data plan, before taxes and fees. It would have been like $30 or $40 more under Share Everything, but the CSR kept arguing with me otherwise. I suspect they're getting commissions for switching people over.

I was under the impression that the Verizon Edge program was basically a financing deal for the phones - they break down the retail price of the phone into a monthly payment and add it to your bill.

When I signed up, the CSR sold me on the Edge program. Basically, and I don't know if it was a promotion or the same now, if you have a 10GB plan or higher, the "finance" fee that is typically attached to the Edge program is cancelled out by a discount for having a larger data plan. I have received my first bill, and it is in fact a zero balance on the Edge portion of my bill. I went with a 15 GB plan since I have myself, both parents (one with a tablet) and my sister on a Shared plan. The other bonus of the Edge program is that I get a new phone every 18 months, but I do have to turn the old phone in when I upgrade. Doesn't really matter much to me on that part since they're typically worn out by then anyways.

I use Virgin mobile. Pay cash for phone (currently have samsung s3 and wife is Iphone 5), pay $35 a month for service that piggy backs off of sprint. I have never hit my data limit (only limited on 4g)
I'll save enough on the monthly costs to pay for the phone several times in a two year period.
The 'discount' you get on the cost of a phone on 2 year contract is more than made up for on the monthly costs.

I prefer the android platform and while I never had a iPhone for me the android works.

I have a Samsung Galaxy 5 it has plenty of accessories for it or that will work with it. From tablets, to smart watches, to ear buds.

If I have to make more memory on this phone go to Walmart pick up a sd memory card and I'm done more memory. Not gonna happen on the Apple.

Also say I drained my batter life on wifi, bluetooth, ect Amazon has batteries for ten dollars or more just pop it in and go.

iTunes is a better place for free apps imo but maybe Google Play will get something done about this soon.

Android or IOS beat BlackBerry....

A "free" phone, really...isn't. You pay for it throughout the contract.

As far as which kind....if you want a phone that can almost do what an Android has been doing for the last couple of years, buy an Apple. Every time they come out with a new phone, they're just trying to catch up to what Android has already had on the market.

Back