Another pattern check.

thecj3man

Last year I put together a 4.10 and Detroit locker third member for my old 55. I posted some pictures of it here,

Gear pattern Advice

I have put about 2k miles on it this year and have decided to setup another third member with a truetrac and a 3.70 gear for more of a highway cruiser.

I have gotten everything together and I am pretty happy with the results. Like before, I think the pattern is high, towards the top land of the gear. Since I was not in a hurry I played around with the pinion depth, going 0.003 in each direction. I never could see a noticeable change so I set it back to 1.117 which is what the recommended setting is.

With all that said, here are some pictures for critiquing it.

173DA0A4-CA1A-4AB5-8CC4-46E8E55ED84D.jpeg
31424BF7-BE3A-4313-9C54-F222FD04B44A.jpeg

Last edited:
Assuming backlash is in spec, I'd run that pattern all day, every day of the week.
That's darn near a perfect pattern.

Thank you very much for looking at it. Backlash is 0.010”, I tried from 0.008 to 0.012 trying to move the pattern around, but I never saw a lot of change.

The last time I tried this I didn’t change anything after getting it together. I moved everything around this time trying to learn how changing things moved the pattern, but I never saw enough change to notice.

Back