Anti wrap fab question

Lee

ECGS
Came across this pic
acoloradok5.com_photos_data_2_1004AR_bar_5.jpg
and was thinking of maybe doing something similar for the antiwrap on my jeep due to the limited room underneath. The concerns I have are how is this going to work torwards the center like this? I have always heard passenger side is the best place to mount to control the wrap. But at the same time I could see a center bar having less of an anti-squat issue than some other offset antiwrap bars cause ? Another concern would be the stress placed on the pinion support and diff cover bolts from this design, any input? or does anyone think this etup would work/fail ?

The reason most people want it on the PS is because the AS from the bar offsets the torque squat from the motor, so the rear tends to stay square under power.

The AS the bar generates depends on the length, angle, relation to roll axis and CG, etc.... so long as the geometry remains the same, the force remains the same. Choosing one location over another just moves the load from one side of the truck to the other.

That bar has to be hinged at the front, eh? Otherwise it would never come off.....

So, question for you, my passenger side has no room to mount an anti-wrap bar, Its either do something similar to the above or go for the driver side, I am not likeing the idea of one on the driver side because I believe it is gonna cause alot more problems than it cures. Short of a 4 link in the rear, what would be my best option?

Fj guys do them dead-center all the time.. you run into much less of an isue when flexing, since the center tends to move around the least...

Can't say for sure on the stress of the pinion bearing, but isn't that a 14bolt? If you're really worried, maybe add one of those BTF 14B trusses that tie the diff cover into the pinion?

I have a traction bar on the driver side of my XJ and it works just fine. (4.6L stroker, 5 speed manual, and F 8.8 with 4.10s and 32s) I have yet to blow up a driveshaft or ruin a set of leaf springs because of axle wrap. I also have the tubes welded to the center section and a truss that ties into a Poison Spider rock ring so everything is solid. The only thing is with the bar on the driver side is that because of the AS and torque from the motor it feels like the driver side is being picked up when under full throttle. I wish I made the bar longer than I did but everything works so I am leaving it as is.

AARON

my roommates that we built is on the drivers side of his TJ with leafs... My Zuk with Toy Axles is 3" off center to the drivers side... I did one on Tony's Cruiser at Rockmonkey 4x4 that is centered, and none of them seem to have any adverse affects on leaning when on the gas... Im sure that the theories that it needs to me on the passenger side work well, but in the real world, I don't think it will matter as much as not having one at all...

But I still believe the more centered you can get it the better...

Back