Anybody else for some Potato Soup?

trailhugger

Human Resources
Administrator
Gutter Runner's Potato Soup is AWESOME. Anybody else here made it? I cooked up a couple of batches last winter and, after the cooler weather this past week, decided it had been too long! I have come up with my own modifications to his recipe, but it's a winner. Made a half batch last night and now I'm counting down to lunch time.

Last edited:
I've made it a few times and everyone loves it. Just wish it didn't take such a long damned time to make. What else do you add to yours?

I made it up Friday night while I was making our actual dinner (blackened catfish), so we had it for lunch yesterday and probably will have it again today. Like anything else that's good, it is better the second day!

Braxton, I use 3-4 cups of chopped greens (usually a mixture of mustard and kale) instead of the celery that Gutter Runner calls for. Made the substitution on the fly the first time and it was good enough that I don't want it any other way! I also use chicken broth instead of bouillon cubes and add thyme along with the other herbs and spices.

Okay, I may eat lunch early after talking about it more.

I just finished reading all 13 pages on pbb! Showed it to the wife, sounds like a winner. Will print out the ingrediants and get some soup rolling :beer:

I chop the onions pretty small and saute them in the bacon drippings before adding the potatoes, etc., to the pot to boil. I also don't have any Frank's hot sauce, so I just use Winston-Salem Pete instead.

Just made it for dinner, and everybody loved it. Two things though- one- the recipe makes a LOT of soup, so don't be shy about cutting the recipe in half, or less. And two- the soup tasted great, but I'm more a fan of a chunky potato soup, so I'd recommend cutting the potatoes into bigger chunks.

Yeah, I normally make a half batch... which still feeds 6-8 people, depending on your audience. :beer: I think the recipe calls for 1" chunks, and I probably do some bigger and some a little smaller... I like it chunky, too. I also usually use red potatoes, just because that's what I have, and leave the skin on because I'm lazy like that. :rolleyes:

I made it up Friday night while I was making our actual dinner (blackened catfish), so we had it for lunch yesterday and probably will have it again today. Like anything else that's good, it is better the second day!

Braxton, I use 3-4 cups of chopped greens (usually a mixture of mustard and kale) instead of the celery that Gutter Runner calls for. Made the substitution on the fly the first time and it was good enough that I don't want it any other way! I also use chicken broth instead of bouillon cubes and add thyme along with the other herbs and spices.

Okay, I may eat lunch early after talking about it more.

How much chicken broth and tyme do you use?

FYI - I am in the process of posting up the recipe :)

How much chicken broth and thyme do you use?

I use one can of chicken broth and then enough water to cover. Then I dump the chopped greens on top and let them wilt before stirring them in and adding more water to cover everything. I measure things in pinches and dashes, but if I had to put an amount to it, I'd say I use a half a teaspoon of dried thyme and not quite a teaspoon of dried basil. If I'm using fresh (I grew basil, oregano, parsley and cilantro this year), I use a little more.

Awesome, thanks! I know what I am cooking for dinner tonight! :D

Evaporated milk along with the heavy cream?

So I made some more two nights ago and while I usually add about ~1.5lbs of bacon, this time I went with the "more bacon is always right" train of thought and added 3lb's instead. It was a poor choice as now the soup tastes pretty much like a bowl of well cooked bacon. :( Oh well, I tried.

It was a poor choice as now the soup tastes pretty much like a bowl of well cooked bacon. :( Oh well, I tried.

Uh... what's wrong with that? Bacon soup!

It sounds awesome.

i made it the other day after i looked at this post. i usually dont follow a recipie i just use it as a gide line. i took the carrots out and let the bacon grease in the cook my onions and celery in. i also used canned taters so it didnt take but like 30 mins appose to the 3 or 4 hrs it takes him and i used chicken stock and rosemary and i took 2 table spoons of flour and threw it in with the celery and onions while they were cookin to thicking it up a little it was great tho sticks to your ribs good

For the clicky impaired
1 lb bacon
5 lbs potatoes (Russet or Idaho Gold)
2 large white onions
5 stalks celery
2 bunchs green onions
5 carrots (or ~10 oz. bag of Julienne carrots)
12 chicken bullion cubes
3 ½ tsp salt
2 tsp fresh ground black pepper
2 spoonfuls minced garlic
3 ½ tsp basil
1 tsp crushed red pepper
5 tsp Franks Red Hot Buffalo Wing Sauce
1 stick butter
1 pint heavy whipping cream

Additional items and substitutes:
Cheese (sharp cheddar, longhorn, parmesan, i.e. cheese with character)
Chives
Sour Cream

Cut the bacon into 1” pieces. Fry the bacon in the stock pot until very crispy. Remove the bacon, and drain grease from stock pot (leave bacon “residue” in the pot). Peel the potatoes and cut into 1” cubes. Larger cubes will result in “chunkier” soup. Cut onions into fairly small chunks. Slice up green onions. Slice celery stalks. Julienne the carrots (if purchased whole). Put all in the pot, cover with water, and bring to a roiling boil.

Add the following: chicken bullion, salt, black pepper, minced garlic, basil, red pepper, and hot sauce.

Stir. Bring the soup to a rolling boil uncovered, then turn it down a bit to just a steady low boil, covered for 1.5-3 hrs. It does not have to be a heavy boil the whole time. Keep an eye on the soup, if it starts getting too thick, add some water right away and reduce it to a simmer. After boiling a few hours, it will thicken nicely. If short on time, the soup can be thickened by adding flour (flavor will not be as full though). Reduce the heat to a simmer.

Stir in the bacon, butter, and whipping cream. Let simmer for ~1/2 hour. Serve with bread/butter, and favorite local brew.

Chicken stock (~4-8 cups stock; water to cover) may be substituted for bullion. Ham or 2 to 3 smoked ham hocks may be substituted for bacon. Up to 2 lbs of bacon has been used. Cheese may be added or used as topping.

Back