Anyone DD a Gladiator?

Macdaddy4738

Anyone driving one daily?

Several years ago I purchased a near mint 2017 Volvo V60 T5. Intended to be my DD, but I find myself rarely driving it. It's only got 31.5k on it as of right now. Sounds stupid, but it's too damn nice to drive. I'm constantly paranoid of rock chips, door dings, etc. I don't allow any food or drinks in it because I don't want to ruin the leather. I love the car, but I don't love how I'm constantly on edge driving it. I'm also thinking that whatever value it has left is close to tanking as the age goes up, so it might be time to move on from it. It got caught up in a bad hail storm in April and I was basically devastated because it took ton of damage. All good now, and repaired to new, but it was sort of an eye opener that I just care about this car more than I should for something I was ideally going to drive every day. Girlfriend and I took a trip to Blue Ridge, GA a few months back and I literally rented a car rather than drove the Volvo because I didn't want to put the miles on it. That's just stupid and defeats the whole purpose of that vehicle.

So because of all that, I pretty much daily drive my 99 XJ. It's only got 148k on it as it stands anyway. I'll never get rid of this vehicle. I work 24 hour shifts and as it stands now, my commute really isn't far regardless of what base I'm working at. Absolute farthest base is 21 miles one way. The XJ is also getting 14mpg, so I don't really give two craps about gas mileage as it stands. I don't take it on long trips, typically to work and back. Sometimes out towards Greensboro but that's about it.

Occasionally I have need for a truck but never a NEED for a truck if that makes sense. I've basically been tossing everything into the XJ or using a trailer, but I don't care for either of those two options. Girlfriend and I have discussed the potential for a boat and/or camper in our future and while my XJ does have the tow package on it, I don't really want to use it for towing anything. I don't see a need to step up to a full sized truck, mid sized works for me. I also don't care for many of the mid sized truck options out there. Probably in the minority but I like how the Gladiator looks, like the option for the Freedom top and full top removal if I want. Like the fact that it has 2 solid axles and most of the one's I've come across so far all have Dana 44's front and rear. I fully understand it's definitely not the best mid sized truck in the market, and know where it stands.

My Gladiator is the family vehicle. Bought it used last July with 3600 miles on it. It just turned 25K. I absolutely love it an more importantly, so does my wife. She takes it on trips to Chattanooga and to Cape Cod. I have taken it to Uwharrie and to Hurricane Creek. Does everything I want and IMHO is comfortable. It's a close to fully loaded Rubicon.

If I had the $$$ I would own one just for me so I had it when momma takes it on her trips.
Jk and JT.jpg

Some good info in these threads.
And

Back