Anyone ever rented a car/truck to tow with?

JeepTruck

I recently purchased a boat in Wisconsin and need to bring her back home to NC. Due to my schedule I might have to fly up and drive a rental back. Has anyone her ever rented a car/truck/SUV to tow a boat or vehicle? If so what rental company did you use, and did they know you were towing? Does any company offer trucks/SUVs with hitches?
Thanks for the help in advance.
Mike

most rental places don't allow towing with the vehicles. every SUV I've rented had a locked cable through the receiver hitch so you couldn't tow with it. Try calling them and see what they say.
even if they let you tow, mileage costs would kill ya.

You may be cheaper to rent the smallest U-haul truck and tow it back with that.

Rob

I broke down in Burlington once( lost a tranny) I rented a Big Box truck and tow dolly( they didn't have a trailer available) they give me 2 days to turn it in. Cost $300, and I got $100 back when I turned it in. That was a U-Haul.

Thanks for the help.
Called around this weekend and found a Ford Expedition through Triangle Rent-A-Car. I never told them my plan but she offered up that "all of our SUVs and trucks come with Class III hitches". Only rules were not to take the truck over the Mississippi River or to NY state. Gotta love putting 2500 hard miles (1/2 towing) on a 2005 truck and turing it back in...priceless

Here is link for Triangle
http://www.trianglerentacar.com/

yeah, triangle is great for that.

the NY state rule is a funny one. it seems for awhile, rental cars were regularly being used to run drugs up there, then abandoned. several of the area car rental places were sending haulers up there weekly to bring them back.

Back