Anyone go to URE in the past few days? (July 19th)

Storz

Just wondering if its dried out at all from last weeks rain? Thinking about heading out there tomorrow but if it's still really greasy we are going up to the mountains instead...

Come on out, its a work day. We can introduce you to new freinds and free food!!!

I was there yesterday and it was muddy! Daniel the hard way wasn't bad, went right up it after I got the line right(my first trip to URE). Dickey Bell was dry but the whole Dutch John trail was slime. I recommend f/r lockers and 31's and you should be able to run anything there. I was on BFG MT 35's locked/locked and found all of it easy but fun.

Was out there yesterday as well. That afternoon rain made it slick!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747

I was there yesterday and it was muddy! Daniel the hard way wasn't bad, went right up it after I got the line right(my first trip to URE). Dickey Bell was dry but the whole Dutch John trail was slime. I recommend f/r lockers and 31's and you should be able to run anything there. I was on BFG MT 35's locked/locked and found all of it easy but fun.
When you say the hard way, what do you mean??

Guessing he means going up the ledges...

What does your XJ look like, might have seen ya out there.

Guessing he means going up the ledges...

What does your XJ look like, might have seen ya out there.

My point exactly.... That is the only legal way to go up Daniel. We blocked off a bypass and educated a group on Saturday and we blocked the bypass before the ledges and they where nice enough to tear it down and take the bypass not 10 mins after we did it. We sat at the top of the second ledge and watched them do it....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

My point exactly.... That is the only legal way to go up Daniel. We blocked off a bypass and educated a group on Saturday and we blocked the bypass before the ledges and they where nice enough to tear it down and take the bypass not 10 mins after we did it. We sat at the top of the second ledge and watched them do it....

:kaioken::wtf:

Should have driven back down, blocking the trail, and educated them a bit more and requested they repair the illegal bypass blockade.

Last edited:
When you say the hard way, what do you mean??
We went "up" Daniel. There was a white Humvee sitting there and a XJ. Some of the locals were doing trail maintenance. I was a first timer at Uwharrie so being new I got a local to guide me and show me the right way to do things. I know all too well how hard it is to keep public trails open after working with the NFS for the last 10 years on Potts Mountain VA.

That would piss me off too :(

We fight these battles constantly as well in the Jefferson National Forest. Take pictures of their tags next time and send them to the local conservation officer and let them do their job.

It was a workday up there that day. We were in the H1 up there working. Was the jeep broken down or the red Yoga broken down when you got to the ledges ?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Darren i believe that he was in the nice blue jeep with rcv's??? With the white xj? Those guys where spot on right.

Officer Foote will be getting the info today. We got tags description etc etc

Darren i believe that he was in the nice blue jeep with rcv's??? With the white xj? Those guys where spot on right.

Officer Foote will be getting the info today. We got tags description etc etc

You mean the white one I was telling more gas pedal ? I remember. They would of drive by the broken down one then.

It was a workday up there that day. We were in the H1 up there working. Was the jeep broken down or the red Yoga broken down when you got to the ledges ?

Yes, there was a GC with a busted front axle shaft after the ledges.

Nice to semi meet you guys!!

Same here! The rest of our SWVA4WD group came down 2 weeks ago but I was tied up. Our club pres flopped his Sammy going up Daniel on the second ledge LOL! Sorry I missed that.

I will be back next spring for sure! We are starting our trail maintenance on Potts next month if it drys out. All of my seat time will be in a M715 hauling rock to fill in "The Stacks" and "The Bypass" where the erosion is starting to take its toll. Does anyone have a kidney to donate? I have a feeling I'm going to need one after beating around in that Kaiser LOL!

Yep that was us.

Yall did good on the ledges, well done xjs. CTB just went to potts last weekend, had a great time and brought out some trash too, it allways impresses me on how clean potts is with grass growing in the center of the trail, It makes such a difference having no atv traffic.

Yall did good on the ledges, well done xjs. CTB just went to potts last weekend, had a great time and brought out some trash too, it allways impresses me on how clean potts is with grass growing in the center of the trail, It makes such a difference having no atv traffic.

Thank You! Keeping Potts clean and open is a community effort! And the best law enforcement of a trail is the wheeling community its self! I haven't gotten to wheel Potts yet this year. I have been up there twice though but I was playing "off-road" limo driver for our excellent forestry service workers and our Ranger Cindy. We did some tree maintenance along the trail in May carrying three forestry service tree experts in and across the trail cutting back some of the over hangs and getting trees dropped at illegal bypasses. In June we took Cindy across and she critiqued the trail and was pleased with only two minor concerns of erosion which we are going to fix in August.

URE was my first experience at wheeling with ATV/UTV/Dirt bike traffic. It will keep you on your toes but I had a mostly pleasant experience with all of the community getting along. It was odd to see all of the different groups doing their things in such a small area of land. I saw hikers, mountain bikers, kayaks, and of course the rest of the off-road community. I know it probably isn't always as laid back as it was Saturday but it was a pleasant experience for me.

One thing that stood out in my mind about URE is the width of the trail in some areas. For instance, the top of Daniel where the two rock gardens are. The trail was 35-50 yards wide in some areas! Our NFS Ranger would never allow that so be glad yours does and shake their hand for the hard work they do to keep the trails open for everyone up there!

You mean the white one I was telling more gas pedal ? I remember. They would of drive by the broken down one then.

Hahahah yeah that was me(white xj on 33s). That ledge was pretty washed out. Never seen it that bad before. But damn it took some throttle on that ledge :driver:

I am afraid to use the skinny pedal :(

Back