Anyone in the Triangle area who can splice synthetic winch line?

ut_prosim

So, I'm thinking about picking up some Master Pull Superline for my winch, but apparently it's not offered with a safety thimble anymore from MP. As I'd like to use one instead of a hook, is there anyone locally who can do this job?

I'm sure Southeast Overland probably could, but an 8-hour round trip seems a bit much for this...

Or, factor55 makes a thimble that doesn't require a splice. But it's around $100.

Or, factor55 makes a thimble that doesn't require a splice. But it's around $100.

I thought about that, but it's introducing another pin and point of failure...the Flatlink design is pretty cool, though, keeps everything tucked on the fairlead.

It's super easy to do yourself.

X2 on YouTube videos. It is hollow core, so it acts like a Chinese finger trap. Just do the weave and overlap correct and that's all it takes.

I've used a sharpie and masking tape to do it

I'm doing well just to tie my shoes...let's just say, marlinspike seamanship wouldn't have been a career option for me in the early 20th century.

I'm doing well just to tie my shoes...let's just say, marlinspike seamanship wouldn't have been a career option for me in the early 20th century.

End splicing winch rope (warning--lots of pics) - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

This explanation is for splicing two together, process is identical for tying a thimble.

Don't need any special tools. I've done it on the side of a trail using a sharpie and an oil dip stick.

Make a loop, pass the dead end through the center of rope perpendicular to rope 3 or so times, 1.5 or so apart.

Then bunch up live side and stick the dead end inside the live side concentrically, and make sure there is at least 12" of overlap.

Pull tight.

Done.

The pic in the link show exactly what I typed. It's seriously easier than tying your shoes.

I'm with the others, do it yourself! I had do do a trail repair on my line; used my knife to wittle down a tree limb and tape to connect and pull it through. I am still using that trail repaired line years later with no issues.

Back