Anyone Know If This Is Possible

fryedaddy

OK I was wondering if the Community College classes like welding, Auto body and Mechanical classes require you to sit and do class work. In other words I've been in college already but didn't take any of those classes. I've worked on cars since I was 13 with my father and have built many. I can weld do body work and engine work. Would it be possible for me to take a class pass/fail and just use to shop to work? I don't need to go through the do's and don'ts again just looking for shop space. Would the teacher allow me to work like that?

Depends on the school and the instructor. I do what your thinking of at Alamance CC. I take the night classes...maybe some day I'll accidentally get my welding cert. The way my instructor does it for me is, I have a syllabus and skills tests. IF I get done with my skills tests before the end of the semester...I can use the shop and the welders...This last semester I was taking Oxy/Fuel welding...finnaly got through the Oxy/Acetylene 6"straight bead, 6" t-joint, 6" lap joint, 5G position on 2" pipe and 6G position on 2.5 pipe, 6" straight bead brazing, 6" t-joint brazing and the 6" lap joint brazing. And still had 4 classes at the end of the semester to build stuff... :D

Central Piedmont has something like that. My auto body teacher was telling us about it one day in class. I think it is only done on Saturday mornings, and it's a "restoration class" where the instructor does not teach, but is basically someone there just to make sure you don't burn the shop down or anything like that. You take it if you already have the skills and ability to do your own work, but I don't know if you have to furnish your own supplies like a welder or things of that nature.

Back