Anyone up for a UTV ride to URE or Brown mountain Dec 2022?

Tacoma747

I want to take my boys to one or the other. Uwharrie may not happen as it may be too muddy between now and then 15th depending on weather. I know the trails they can do at URE, never been to Brown mountain though, I would be on a RZR xp1000, they would be on a rzr170 (4x4 with 500cc engine) but don't want to make them have to do anything super extreme.

If you want to go please know we wouldn't be riding 'fast' as they are still getting used to it.

Brown Mt is open till the end of the year I think, so there's a little time to get in there. I take the rzr up there at least once if not twice. It's got some pretty nice trails and there are bypasses for most all the hard stuff. I think as long as you stayed off 1b they should be fine. All the other trails have bypasses for the rough.

I have a XP1000 as well, I'm down to go to brown if I am free, I only live 30 minutes from it.
It will likely be a Saturday between now and the end of the year. Or maybe over Christmas break if the weather is decent.

Uwharrie may not happen as it may be too muddy between now and then 15th depending on weather.
One good thing about Brown Mt is there never seems to be alot of mud. It seems like there's just water puddles on top of the dirt. There are some mud holes that people have made, but the regular trails are not muddy at all.

Post before y’all go if you can, I’m either on the ktm or a 900 RZR at brown and already have a season pass for the year so I’d be down if I can make it. And yeah like others said, brown is best after it rains for a week straight and you still don’t get muddy.

Still planning on going tomorrow if anyone is up for it.
I’m not going to be able to make this one. However, with all the rain we’ve had this will be a perfect time to ride at brown.

Brown Mt is open till the end of the year I think, so there's a little time to get in there. I take the rzr up there at least once if not twice. It's got some pretty nice trails and there are bypasses for most all the hard stuff. I think as long as you stayed off 1b they should be fine. All the other trails have bypasses for the rough.

Would you mind sharing which section of trail 1 is 1 "b"? I printed out the map but there is no mention of 1 "b". I am trying to figure out which way to go when we first get there, as trail 1 connects at the parking lot going two directions. Are the "ATV" trails wide enough for a RZR XP? Speed doesn't matter, don't mind going slow.

***EDIT: I guess the section of trail 1 that goes to trail 8 is what I am going to do as I gather that section is large enough for 4x4's.

I am thinking: 1>4>1 (or 2, which is best?)>9>10>1>parking lot. Maybe trail 6 if we have time. What about the full length of trail 9 instead of taking the easy way back via trail 10? I don't mind spotting for them but don't want to put them on something like Daniel or Dickey Bell climbs.

Last edited:
Would you mind sharing which section of trail 1 is 1 "b"? I printed out the map but there is no mention of 1 "b". I am trying to figure out which way to go when we first get there, as trail 1 connects at the parking lot going two directions. Are the "ATV" trails wide enough for a RZR XP? Speed doesn't matter, don't mind going slow.

***EDIT: I guess the section of trail 1 that goes to trail 8 is what I am going to do as I gather that section is large enough for 4x4's.

I am thinking: 1>4>1 (or 2, which is best?)>9>10>1>parking lot. Maybe trail 6 if we have time. What about the full length of trail 9 instead of taking the easy way back via trail 10? I don't mind spotting for them but don't want to put them on something like Daniel or Dickey Bell climbs.
1b is directly to the left after you leave the parking lot. You'll recolonize it by two "gatekeeper" style rocks at the entrance of the trail. If you stay on the "white" section of 1 on the map it'll be fine. 1 to 4 to 1b is a good plan. Trail 2 is TIGHT for a 1000. 6 is a good trail, nothing really crazy there. 9 is not a real hard trail, but lots of tight switchbacks (like 3 point turns in a 1000) and some "squeeze" type situations. 9 is also long. It takes a while to do.

We usually do 1b to 1 to 9 and thats about 3-4 hours.

What time are you guys going? I wanted to go tomorrow but I would not be available until after lunch.

1b is directly to the left after you leave the parking lot. You'll recolonize it by two "gatekeeper" style rocks at the entrance of the trail. If you stay on the "white" section of 1 on the map it'll be fine. 1 to 4 to 1b is a good plan. Trail 2 is TIGHT for a 1000. 6 is a good trail, nothing really crazy there. 9 is not a real hard trail, but lots of tight switchbacks (like 3 point turns in a 1000) and some "squeeze" type situations. 9 is also long. It takes a while to do.

We usually do 1b to 1 to 9 and thats about 3-4 hours.

What time are you guys going? I wanted to go tomorrow but I would not be available until after lunch.

We will probably get there around 10:30-11. Thanks for the info. Feel free to join, red XP and blue RZR 170 contraption. You know the route I am taking, we will be going slow I am sure, and stopping for lunch at some point.

Trail 1>4>1>9. Took a connector trail to a FS road after the big rock climb, shortly before the climb the motor in the 500 went kaput so I had to pull them up. Luckily some dirtbike guys helped, but most of all luckily they told me about the connector trail to get us back to the parking lot faster. Going to buy a parts machine tomorrow, this 170/500 really needs a LOT of attention, guess it's gonna force me to do it now.

The boys LOVED it. 10 y/I did 1>4>1, then the 8 year old did most of 9 until the motor went. I have no doubt it would go up the rock climb without a bit of trouble, wish they could have done it under its own power.

Back