Archeological Sites in Uwharrie

Lrgrnr

I do a lot of hiking and wheeling in Uwharrie as it is my back yard. I am looking for information on the numerous Arch sites in the area, I have found a few but really didn't know what I had stumbled upon.

What do I look for?

What are these sites?

Where are some of them in Uwharrie?

The more we understand these sites the more we can help to preserve them, and how our hobby effects these sites.

I hope here soon someone with some good info will speak up.

The forest service doesn't want you to know where they are. If people don't know then they won't be damaged or objects won't be stolen. It is a federal offense it you were to take an artifact.

The forest service doesn't want you to know where they are. If people don't know then they won't be damaged or objects won't be stolen. It is a federal offense it you were to take an artifact.

That's what I was thinking......and no one said anything about collecting artifacts....I just want to know what these sites are, and how to spot one if I see it.

I have asked i could be shown where some of them were and that is what I was told. I person who I asked is a relative of one of my employees and I still was told no.

Listing the locations on a website might not seem to be a bad thing BUT there are those that will step in and tear up a site just for a arrowhead.Leave those sites to the FS to know and their location not on here. As much as I'd love to bring my "machines" with me and hit the house sites I have spotted while wheeling ,I leave them at home.

I think the answer is pretty much clear by the above. There are a lot of arch sites out there, and as said above the Forest Service doesn't want people to know where they are to prevent looting and damage. This is also why its not advertised that there are arch sites in the area. There are re-routes for trails in the works due to arch sites because of looting and damage. While I am sure your intentions and most people's on here would be good to learn about the arch sites etc, its just not something that we can post up locations,discuss, etc on a public website.

Thanks for the clearification.........

I wasn't trying to be smart or redundant, just confirming and summarizing all the above posts in one. I meant to reply right after you had first posted but wasn't able to get a reply in until now.

I wasn't trying to be smart or redundant, just confirming and summarizing all the above posts in one. I meant to reply right after you had first posted but wasn't able to get a reply in until now.

No worries, I understand the reasons for not wanting to post info on an open forum.....just looking for more info on the area to try and understand the importance of these sites......

No worries, I understand the reasons for not wanting to post info on an open forum.....just looking for more info on the area to try and understand the importance of these sites......

The Forest Service is very tight lipped about the Arch Sites, so I really don't have any real idea of locations/information expect the areas we are told about on workdays. And usually that means we are working to block them off by putting up guard rail or split rail. I am sure there are some people on here (I know Bruce comes to mind) that would be more knowledgeable. Just have to hope one of them chimes in on this.

Call 910-576-6391 and ask for Joel. Pronounced Joe-el. He would be happy to talk to you about the Arch Sites and give you the importance. He is the USFS Archeologist for URE and Croatan. He is a super nice guy.

Ditto all the above. Just one more thing. Disturbing an arch site and or removing artifacts from them is a felony.

Once on a workday I picked up a rock that looked like a tool and showed it to a FS person and they turned and walked away. I tossed it and learned to never do that again.

Call 910-576-6391 and ask for Joel. Pronounced Joe-el. He would be happy to talk to you about the Arch Sites and give you the importance. He is the USFS Archeologist for URE and Croatan. He is a super nice guy.

Thanks Scott......I'll give him a call.

Back