Are tires allowed to stick out on 4x4's?

fishgutz

I was just told of a couple people that got warning tickets for having tires sticking out beyond the flares.
I was under the impression that this is not required on 4x4's.

Even Massachusetts has an exception for vehicles modified for off road use.

The DMV web site is useless for trying to search for the specific code citation.

If coverage is required then I'll have to do some welding since I just bobbed my rusty fenders.
Most wheelers I know have tires out beyond the flares.

From what I have read and heard, there are not coverage laws in NC.

I could see someone getting hassled in a larger city, But I have asked the Police Chief and a Trooper (Both I know well) and they state that they don't see an issue with it.

I just did a word search through the PDF of Chapter 20 Motor vehicle code. Not a word about required coverage.
Maybe po po in the cities use it as a manufactured "stop and hassle" excuse.

Apparently some towns/cities think they can regulate motor vehicles above and beyond the state requirements.
I can't imagine that such regulations would be valid since no inspection station uses city specific criteria and there is no way for anyone to know the regulation for every town in the state.
Such city regs would come under "screw the out of towner" hoping they just pay up and don't fight it.
State law gives me the right to travel anywhere in the country with my Jeep so long as it complies with the state regulations.
I know many big cities ban high beams within the city limits. Not unreasonable in well lit cities. But such a reg wouldn't fly in Greensboro. Too many really dark streets.

I still run stock flares so my tires are defenitely out there. I pass the town police everyday at least twice a day on my way in & out of the house. No issues ever. Some people run no flares at all. What you described sounds like a case of the police looking for a reason to check someone of interest out or a p_ssed off cop. One of the two.

This one passes NC inspection as a DD.

064.jpg

061.jpg

I only have about 2" of tread under my fenders.
picture.php

Next time he pulls you ask him about all those old men in hot rods with no fenders, bobtail tractors running the interstate, some motorcycles/choppers, etc.

Burrell, is that the Poison Spyder bobbed fender?

In cutting out the rear, I'm concerned about the gas tank feed pipe on my YJ. Should I wrap new sheet metal around it and form to cover the back side of the lighting wires?

I want to create enough room for 35's without increasing the lift from 3.5 plus boomerang shackles to 5" springs.

I was just told of a couple people that got warning tickets for having tires sticking out beyond the flares.
I was under the impression that this is not required on 4x4's.
Even Massachusetts has an exception for vehicles modified for off road use.
The DMV web site is useless for trying to search for the specific code citation.
If coverage is required then I'll have to do some welding since I just bobbed my rusty fenders.
Most wheelers I know have tires out beyond the flares.
Virginia is a little sticky on laws like that - bumper height and fenders and mud flaps....
Don't know specifics.
I'd go to court if I got a ticket and ask them to show me where in the law its there....

If my YJ was prettier I might do that. But it ain't that purty anymore.
I may just weld some small tubing on the sharp edges to protect hands, fingers and tire tread.
If I had a newer 2006 Unlimited Rubi, I would definitely have the fenders nicely bobbed.

Tires protruding

Checked NC DMV regs: there is nothing specifically written about the tires projecting beyond the fenders by X amount, but it is illegal in NC to raise or lower a vehicle more than 6" from the factory ride height.
'Tanner'

its so you dont do this...... epic fail

Attachments

• wheels.jpg
    wheels.jpg
    20.9 KB · Views: 1,101
In VA you cant have more than 2in out of fenders from what i know, ive never been hassled over mine b/c they get me for everything else!!!!!

I actually got hassled getting my Jeep inspected in Durham last time. The inspector told me "you failed the second you pulled in. Your tires stick out past your fenders." Of course there doesn't seem to be a law anywhere that I can find, but what can you do if the inspector thinks there is? I just went to another place and had no problem. Bottom line, I guess is it just depends on the inspector.

I actually got hassled getting my Jeep inspected in Durham last time. The inspector told me "you failed the second you pulled in. Your tires stick out past your fenders." Of course there doesn't seem to be a law anywhere that I can find, but what can you do if the inspector thinks there is? I just went to another place and had no problem. Bottom line, I guess is it just depends on the inspector.
I'd report his ass to the DMV.

You need to take the failure slip to the referee at the local dmv office. He will have their ass for it. I went through this with my CAI. He called the inspection station right in front of me and chewed them out.

You need to take the failure slip to the referee at the local dmv office. He will have their ass for it. I went through this with my CAI. He called the inspection station right in front of me and chewed them out.

I would've love to see that. I hate some inspectors they act like they're gods to the auto world b/c some one gave them a lil authority....

Really? I'll definitely do that next year. I didn't know that was an option. Thanks :beer:

The height regulation applies only to vehicles with a unibody. That technically included Cherokees.
Vehicles on truck frames are not subject to the limit.
So if you see a Monte Carlo sitting on 40's it is an illegal vehicle modification.
Though I did once see a Monte chassis on an S10 frame. Pretty funny looking.

Really? I'll definitely do that next year. I didn't know that was an option. Thanks :beer:

Yep the DMV doesnt like vehicles not passing as it eats into revenue/time w questions from the public.

If a VW rail buggy can pass w/ no fenders we have no worries

Back