atv info

transman731

get your shift together
in the next month i will be moving. the new house has 11 acres and i will need an atv.
i don't need one for speed, i need one to work, it will need to be 4wd.
is there any makes that i shoud stay away from?
am i ok if i stick with the "big" names.

if it needs to be worked on, i am not really worried about(if it has nuts and bolts,i can fix it)

and help is appreciated, thanks.

iv got a 07 suzuki vinson 500, and a 07 kawasaki prarie 360 for my wife, have had no trouble with either except for normal maint, we abuse the heck out of them and they just keep right on going, i ride with a group of people that have polaris, honda and yamaha, and none of those really have a problem at all, i think if you stick with major brands and stay away from the chinese junk you will be fine

I have owned several different ATV's and I will say that Polaris is probably the highest quality. CanAm would be my second choice. Yamaha, Honda, and Kawasaki are all tied in my opinion...... at least when it comes to utility 4wheelers.

I have a Honda that has been beat sensless and still runs like new. Been rolled well over a dezen times and taken places it should have never been. If you need big go 4wd, but a small 2wd is just as capable.

advice on atv for your farm

stay away from artic cat, parts are rare as hens teeth, eats spark plugs like popcorn at a good movie. ive owned two of them, first one was a trade deal, second one was because i didn't know better.

sibe by side

all the way i have had sport quads 4wd atv's had rincons,brute force ...the side by side is well worth the money u will use it hands down more than u realize ...i bought the off brand side by side that looks like a Rhino no probs at all motor is based on the yamaha 660 ..i gave like 6k new ..just my 2 cents

FWIW...I've heard from more than one person that the quality of Polaris bikes just isn't up to par with the jap bikes. Their ride on their IRS bikes is supposed to be great though.

If you haven't logged many miles on ATVs you'll be extremely surprised at what a 2WD bike with good rear tires can handle. They'll roll right through all but the nastiest mudholes with no problem.

A side by side with a dump bed would be great if you're going to be using it around the land.

if it is only for a workhorse honda hands down if you want to play also yamaha, all name brands are good but you cant lose with a honda or yamaha

2wd hondas are very capable ive had mine down every trail at brown mtn for several years and other than a few roll overs they are built for abuse and take care of business i did put a winch on the 04' recon just in case but ive never needed it

HONDA:wheel:

I have owned 3 honda 450s, 4 Honda 250s, a Honda 300, all utility 4 wheelers, a Suzuki 230 sport quad, a Yamaha 350 warrior sport quad, and a Yamaha 125 kid's 4wheeler. I will say both the Yamaha and Suzuki have needed more repair/maintenance than all of the Honda's put together. I even still ride a 85 Honda 250 3 Wheeler that has never needed any work done other than the standard fluid changes, and it runs like a top and starts up first time every time. As others have stated, a good 2wd utility like a Recon or 2wd Rancher, will do probably everything you need if you are just using it for keeping up your property.

I'd stay away from a polaris.
They're ok I suppose but they are all AFAIK belt driven and that always leads to problems.
I dont think you can beat a Honda, but they tend to be slightly more expensive, slower and less featured than their direct counterparts. But the damn things are tanks

I'd stay away from a polaris.
They're ok I suppose but they are all AFAIK belt driven and that always leads to problems.
I dont think you can beat a Honda, but they tend to be slightly more expensive, slower and less featured than their direct counterparts. But the damn things are tanks
This is true, Honda is usually behind on power and features, but I believe they are more reliable. Also, most ATVs use the same belt driven automatics same as Polaris, but I believe the Honda's were the first to use a car style torque converter transmission without belts.

i have a 03 suzuki vinson 500 that ive beat to hell and back ive never changed the oil or anything in it since new has over 2000 miles on it and has never gave me any troubles. its been the toughest 4 wheeler ive ever owned

02cent

I currently own a 04' polaris 500HO 4x4 with no problems,its strong and fast for a 4wheel drive.Ive owned a polaris 300,both are belt driven and never had a single problem.my 2nd choice would be a honda.

Back